Can’t Stand It When A Detector Can’t Stand

I wonder why the stands aren't made wider?

Perhaps the manufacturers don't really see it as a problem, or it saves a decent amount on shipping costs. For the latter, with a wider stand, one dimension of the box would have to be significantly larger, and that much more packing styrofoam would be needed as well. Then again, the stand could be made adjustable, or, if the stand was flexible, then when it's packaged, the stand could be compressed with a tie, so the stand returns to its original size wen the customer cuts the tie.

Thank you for the stand you put on the Tarsacci.

On 4/9/2023 at 2:31 PM, Digalicious said:

I wonder why the stands aren't made wider?

Ergonomics I guess. Having a wider base could get in the way for some. Personally, I like it in the narrow version, but I rest my detector against my shovel when picking up a find. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone to their own, but I can't imagine trying to swing a detector with that monstrosity attached. To help protect the control box I installed short sections of 1/4" thick foam cushions on each side. 

If you do make the stand too wide it will hit your hip but what I’ve made now and in the past don’t.

It’s whatever makes a person happy and that’s what it does for me.

Chuck 

As far as I can remember Whites Electronics is the only one I know that made stand’s for their detectors.

Chuck 

I've thought about a cheap plastic bipod, check out the used stuff at gunshows.  Or how about a spring clamp?  modify it with half a piece of pvc glued in each jaw. non skid paint or tape on the inside of the pvc.

61rnGMRjZ2L._AC_SX679_.jpg