SDC 2300 Drop In Battery Pack Trouble

Yes Jim it’s two different battery packs with both looking the same. The good battery the plastic around it is not just right making it tight going in .

I had the SDC when it first came out and the C batteries didn’t make good contact all the time. What would happen is your detector keep Turning it self off and on again. The quick fix was slide a business card down beside the C batteries and that took care of the problem.

Like all detectors they have their place but you have to find it .

Chuck 

• Like 1

What are you going to do with the bad battery?

Jim

Call the repair center tomorrow and I’ll let you know after. That battery is new and never been used.

Chuck 

If you were just going to throw it out, I was thinking I'd pay the shipping so I could do some forensic analysis on it...LOL Don't own an SDC, so can't use it, but unfortunately, I'm a curious guy...Ha!

Jim

Jim 

If it was a old battery I’d let you have it but that’s not the case here. The repair center should send me another but have to send this one in first.

Here’s what they look like and you can see the groves on each side so you can’t put it in the wrong way.

Chuck 

883D54B8-F7BD-4721-9BBB-6072D56512DB.jpeg

AA2D88D5-18F8-4E69-9C58-A51AFA1EBC4A.jpeg

182D01C0-E561-4D13-929C-520B138E44DE.jpeg

Jim 

You remember I said I could put a short across the battery and read 9 volts for a short while.  In a round about way when you turn your detector on you put a short across that battery. It’s telling that battery it needs power so send it.

When I done the same thing to the defective one it wouldn’t do it.

Chuck 

AAAhhh...that explains alot, Chuck. So the demand of the detector does turn the battery on. That's really interesting. Never heard of anything like that. With a newer battery like that, I can see why it needs to go to the company. I appreciate the clear pics, too. They help with understanding the issue. I'm guessing a resistor, instead of a short, across the terminals may have let the battery stay "on".

Jim

I called them and then filled out the form they said to do. Later here comes a number to send with it but they didn’t offer a shipping label. I had to send it in at my cost. That battery was new and like the detector has never been used yet other than to be sure it was good .

Chuck 

• Like 1

Jim

Those batteries cost just under a hundred and I want you to know that it hurt my pride to pay to ship that battery back when it should have been good to start with.

Chuck 

I can completely understand that, Chuck. You expect, when you buy a new product, that it will perform as it should. In any deal, two things have to happen. One, the responsibility of the buyer is to get the money to the seller. The second is that it's the responsibility of the seller to get a product, THAT OPERATES AS IT SHOULD, into the hands of the buyer. In this case Minelab had a responsibility to get a battery IN GOOD OPERATING condition into your hands. They failed, and then compounded the problem by putting their responsibility onto you. That, my friend, is crappy customer service. You should be angry.

Jim