Had To Walk Away!

CLH

Went to a small hidden area of beach on a freshwater lake that seems to be the landing point of a lot of floating flotsam.

I might as well have walked into Chernobyl with a Geiger counter! 100% chatter every square inch. 99.999% melted alumi-nuggets. I have never seen something quite so bad. I tried every program, sensitivity way down, sniper programs, custom sonar program from Gary, anything and everything I could to tune the machine down, but no stopping the chatter. No houses or cell tower or EMI anywhere near here, just that much junk in the sand. Worst part is every signal was a good coin signal too. All in the high tones and/or numbers, 80's and 90's. Everything I dug was melted aluminum from pea size to palm sized.

Pulled one zinc penny out of the roar before I gave up and left after about 20 minutes. Just couldn't take the noise and digging 100% aluminum. I've been at this over 30 years and have never hit anything like this. I suppose it's the product of years of bonfires here and then whatever was burnt on any other beach and drifted in to this cove and got stuck in the sand.

4 hours ago, CLH said:

Went to a small hidden area of beach on a freshwater lake that seems to be the landing point of a lot of floating flotsam.

I might as well have walked into Chernobyl with a Geiger counter! 100% chatter every square inch. 99.999% melted alumi-nuggets. I have never seen something quite so bad. I tried every program, sensitivity way down, sniper programs, custom sonar program from Gary, anything and everything I could to tune the machine down, but no stopping the chatter. No houses or cell tower or EMI anywhere near here, just that much junk in the sand. Worst part is every signal was a good coin signal too. All in the high tones and/or numbers, 80's and 90's. Everything I dug was melted aluminum from pea size to palm sized.

Pulled one zinc penny out of the roar before I gave up and left after about 20 minutes. Just couldn't take the noise and digging 100% aluminum. I've been at this over 30 years and have never hit anything like this. I suppose it's the product of years of bonfires here and then whatever was burnt on any other beach and drifted in to this cove and got stuck in the sand.

I have found similar beach sites that were Beer party Heaven Bonfire spots with melted blobs of melted beer cans everywhere.

If it’s truly flotsam, work your way around the edges closest to the water. Aluminum is lighter and will wash further up…

4 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

If it’s truly flotsam, work your way around the edges closest to the water. Aluminum is lighter and will wash further up…

I did waterline to tree line about 40 feet wide. No change.

That's too bad about that spot, CLH, it sounds like that's either the party spot or the trash dump on that lake. I'd walk away from that too. About all you could try is to go to a low frequency program or low single frequency program to target higher conductors and notch out everything below 90 to try cancel out all the smaller pieces, but really I'd just move on out of that mess. Life's too short to sift through all that melted aluminum.

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Life's too short to sift through all that melted aluminum

Wise choice, instead than to go crazy against bad conditions, better to drive elsewhere to another spot and help the odds.