Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Drag When Detecting In The Ocean W 11x13 Coil

619_805_okie

Took my d2 into 2-3 ft of waster today and discovered the first negative thing about the d2.  I'm running the 13x11 coil and the amount of drag caused swinging the coil was insane.  I think part of this was related to the flex in the lower shaft and the size of the coil but it really was tough. At times i felt like the lower shaft might snap if i tried to move too fast.

Anyone have any advice? Will the 9 inch coil solve this problem or do i need to invest in a different shaft?

Did you ever put the 12X15 Equinox coil in the water???  Yup, quite a treat. 

The stock rod for the Deus2 is inadequate for any water hunting in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

Will the 9 inch coil solve this problem or do i need to invest in a different shaft?

I replaced my stock rod with a custom CF rod.  I was not wild of water hunting with a 9" coil. My past opinion was a coil that size was too small on a salt beach. 

After the last three months of working the Deus 9"  , I have no plans of changing to a larger coil to hunt in the water. 

If I had a choice, it would be for a 10" coil for in the water. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

Did you ever put the 12X15 Equinox coil in the water???  Yup, quite a treat. 

The stock rod for the Deus2 is inadequate for any water hunting in my opinion. 

I replaced my stock rod with a custom CF rod.  I was not wild of water hunting with a 9" coil. My past opinion was that a coil that size was too small on a salt beach. 

After the last three months of working the Deus 9"  , I have no plans of changing to a larger coil to hunt in the water. 

I was thinking it was a combo of rad type and coil size. Thank you.

Carbon fiber is the way to go for zero flex. I have a Steve's Rod on order, but in the mean time I got a nokta simplex CF lower shaft and sanded it down a bit to fit the D2 coil and it works great.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, midalake said:

I bet a 10x5" coil would be great in the water (as long as it's waterproof, of course)! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I bet a 10x5" coil would be great in the water (as long as it's waterproof, of course)! ?

Yes, it would be. If one puts a tape measure to the 9" Deus2 coil it actually reads more like 8 3/4. Even though it is a DD coil it still loses a little coverage at depth. A 10X5 coil would be more forgiving on coverage! 

• Like 1

I've used the 13" in the water with a SteveG shaft, and it's slow motion and it works ok, but it would tend to flop without a centering device. I would much rather use the 9" or have an elliptical option as well.

Not a water hunting fan overall. Feel like I'm on a planet with a heavy atmosphere. ? However, that is where the good stuff is. At least the 9" will make recovery quicker.

• Like 2