When A Rare Token Becomes Not So Rare

That's a neat place with some equally neat finds.  Glad the Cpt'n is doing better & able to be out hunting with you all.

• Like 1

Cool story and a great hunt...glad to hear Ghostlight is doing better  as well..

strick

• Like 1

What a great lot of finds, Glenn! 👍 That's so cool to get a surprise like that. 

Excellent photos, and glad also to hear the good Cap'n is well. 

• Like 1

Amazing (and clever 😉) story; thanks for sharing that!  Is a trip to the library (and/or a visit to Newspapers.com) in order?

I know very little about tokens.  But the shape seems unusual.  (I thumbed through my only token book and didn't see a single photo of a token that had the same shape as yours.)

I can't see all seven very well, but at least some look to be in decent condition.  I suspect someone (several someones?) out there would be quite interested in these if you were willing to let a few go....  But if you choose that route I would wait until more research can be done.  Trade tokens are a serious collecting area as @abenson , @OregonGregg and others here can attest.

• Like 1

cemeteries

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Amazing (and clever 😉) story; thanks for sharing that!  Is a trip to the library (and/or a visit to Newspapers.com) in order?

I know very little about tokens.  But the shape seems unusual.  (I thumbed through my only token book and didn't see a single photo of a token that had the same shape as yours.)

I can't see all seven very well, but at least some look to be in decent condition.  I suspect someone (several someones?) out there would be quite interested in these if you were willing to let a few go....  But if you choose that route I would wait until more research can be done.  Trade tokens are a serious collecting area as @abenson , @OregonGregg and others here can attest.

Thanks GB for the information on Newspapers.com.

I did some research with city directories and thru Colorado Historic Newspaper Collection for Weld County where Frederick, Colorado is located and came up with nothing. I also search census and cemeteries and came up with nothing. One of the club members has a large token collection and he believes it is a saloon token, but I can't find any other information so far.

The six tokens that were in the match case are in excellent condition other than being discolored. The first one I found was a little bent and suffered surface damage from being in the ground for a period of time. I found a token last year from Bucktown, Colorado and all known Bucktown tokens are quite rare. The one I found was not listed anywhere and so far it is the only known token of its kind. I contacted a ebay seller who had sold a Bucktown token in the past and thought my Bucktown token would sell between $500 and $ 1000.

So who knows what these tokens might be worth.

• Like 3

Finding a match container stuffed with tokens or coins has long been a fantasy of this detectorist . To see that it really can happen is inspirational ! Congrats 

• Like 5

Great hunt finds no doubt.

I found a token of which the token guy at the coin show said "I've never seen that one before" !

"Does that mean it's rare ?"

"No , it means it's a new one !"

"Awwwwwwwwwww" 😩

• Like 1

• The title was changed to When A Rare Token Becomes Not So Rare
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 7:12 PM, Hunterjunk said:

Finding a match container stuffed with tokens or coins has long been a fantasy of this detectorist . To see that it really can happen is inspirational ! Congrats 

I found a match case once but there was just a single wooden match in it, but it was still a great find because it was ornate and sterling silver, but in trashed condition, half the lid was missing, the part of the lid that was there was detached from the case, and the body was split along three of four of the sides, if that case was actually in good condition I would have considered it better then any gold I've found