Reaping Some Relics

Been using F350's Relic Reaper with just a few tweaks to suit my specific site conditions. Last couple of hunts were similar to the previous hunts using the Reaper. I've been digging lots of buttons and pewter and lead bits. These are sites that have been heavily hunted. First pic from my previous hunt shows 24 buttons from 1 site. This site had given up over a hundred buttons to my D1 but I hadn't hit it with the D2. The second pic is from another worn out site that I had hit with both the D1 and D2 over the years. I was surprised I dug that many non ferrous targets from this site this morning. But the Relic Reaper is no joke.

Lodge

Site 10 04152023 buttons.jpg

Site 3 May 6 2023.jpg

Thanks for posting this, LC. I'm really pleased to see the program bringing old sites to life for you! 👍

In the second photo a button appears to be silver, if solid a rare find. Either way buttons are always a good find.

I think the base premise of the RR program is to keep you from wasting time digging iron if you don't want to dig it, or to clearly identify it (size, depth) if you do. Even aluminum is identified most times by an upward or downward (or both) mid to high tone, same applies, you can dig it if you want. Always dig questionable stuff for experience and reference. No program is perfect.

Once you Master the tones you're going to dig as much good as bad, I'd love to see some trash pics if you have them, you may well be at that point.

Great hunt, looks like it's working out for you! 🙂 I'm working on a similar one for Beach, but the variables increase. One day pull tabs were in the 80s after a rain storm 🤣 

Where do pewter buttons ID?  (If you can put the answer relative to modern USA coins as well as VDI's, that would be helpful for those of us in this country not familiar with the Deus 2 scale.)  I've found plenty of brass buttons but don't recall a pewter one.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Where do pewter buttons ID?  (If you can put the answer relative to modern USA coins as well as VDI's, that would be helpful for those of us in this country not familiar with the Deus 2 scale.)  I've found plenty of brass buttons but don't recall a pewter one.

I don't find many pewter buttons but i do find lots of Tombac buttons, they usually ID in the 40s. 🤔 It's possible that pewter would ID that low too.

49 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Tombac buttons... usually ID in the 40s.

What are the VDI's of a USA nickel and a Zincoln?  (I don't know the Deus 2 scale.)

43 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

What are the VDI's of a USA nickel and a Zincoln?  (I don't know the Deus 2 scale.)

US nickels are 63-65, Zincolns are 80-85, depending on crust, but I've dug them in the 50s if they're really nasty. 😵

Older nickels, like Buffalo and V come up as low as 58.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, F350Platinum said:

Thanks for posting this, LC. I'm really pleased to see the program bringing old sites to life for you! 👍

F350, the thanks go to you for turning me on General and Full Tones. I hardly dig any trash mostly because these are older colonial sites out in the woods with almost zero modern trash. It's either iron or it's a keeper. Or sometimes it's both iron and a keeper. 😉 Like you say it is easy enough to ID the iron by just turning on it. The reason why I am digging mostly mid tone targets is because these sites have been pounded for years. Any easy high tone and even most of the challenging high tones have been sniffed out. There are still some left for sure but they are heavily masked. These sites I hunt have a lot of iron even away from the cellar hole. Iron that's 200 to 300 years old gets very crusty and is very prone to falsing, especially in Full Tones. But those mid conductor tones just stand out even when next to a falsing piece of old iron. 

This last hunt, I had the Reactivity set at 0.5. I was amazed at how deep it hit on some of the small buttons and bits of lead. It is a tombac killer. That silvery button is a tombac, just at the right angle to reflect the light. I had pounded these sites with the HF coil with the D1 (and every other coil). But the D2 is just that much better.

GB Amateur, I find that pewter buttons can come in anywhere in the 40's and 50's with the Deus. It does make a difference what frequencies you are hunting with. The lower the frequency band the lower the VDI. 

I missed the Reaper... can someone enlighten me please? thanks

14 hours ago, martygene said:

I missed the Reaper... can someone enlighten me please? thanks

You'll have to contact @F350Platinum. The Relic Reaper is his baby. He is a super nice guy and you only have to give him 62% of all the silver you find with it. 🤣