Lg24 Coil How Well Do You Like It??

On 5/23/2023 at 4:28 PM, bigtim1973 said:

Anyone have one they can chime in on with their usage of it??

Last couple of days used the LG24 on a 1850’s placer site with a hydroelectric and an overhead high voltage transmission line within view. The iron trash caps the site requiring periodic raking down through the layers then running a magnet through the loose dirt to pick out the square nails, boot tacks and small pieces of rusted tin. This process was repeated until iron masking was reduced enough to allow the detector & coil to pick out the non ferrous targets  Set the sensitivity between 25 & 30 experienced no real problems with EMI while detecting. Some EMI chatter at 28 & 30 when the detector was set down and not in motion. Detection depth offset by raking so was not measured. The center of the coil is the sweet spot. 

Updated the Legend software to v1.13, used search modes Park 1 M1 & Goldfield M both at factory setting to start. Adjusted recovery as high as 8 with IF 4; GB 45.
Good Coil, especially for “cash coins”.

• 5 weeks later...

On 1/21/2024 at 3:11 PM, HardPack said:

run on the high EMI heavy iron trash site.

Hit the EMI claim again, at sensitivity at 24 no problem with the LG24; at sensitivity 25 -30 the coil picked up the EMI when not in motion but work just fine when sweeping. Detected a couple of 10 inch deep pieces of melted nugget shaped aluminum (size from your finger tip to first knuckle) probably melted electrical cable, boot tacks, square nails, brass, lead pellets but failed to swing over gold. The larger gold is located in off channel cemented bench gravels, only smaller and fine gold along the stream gravel bars where I was detecting, better suited for sluicing or highbanking. Found the combination of the Legend and LG24 in Goldfield mode M, stable and easy to maneuver. Worked a few crevices. There was not a lot of iron trash along the stream so set recovery at 1 or 2, Iron Filter 1 or 2, stability 3, audio gain at 3, threshold level at 12. An abundance of black sand magnetite on the pick magnet but did not notice an adverse effect on the detector/coil. Also hot rocks are not in short supply but was able eliminate with “G” ground off discrimination. Good detector/coil combo, like it. 

Mind your Recovery speed/Sweep speed.  Recovery 1 needs to be quite slow unless it's a near surface target.

10 hours ago, JCR said:

Recovery 1 needs to be quite slow unless it's a near surface target.

I still attempting to find a balance between depth and recovery speed. I picked up on the changes in signal duration at different recovery settings. This was not the ideal location, a flash flood several years back moved and deposit an erroneous amount of material. The best bedrock low pressure area appears to be across the stream which is too high for crossing this time of year. There’s a lot of juggling to remember with these new SMF detectors, I’ll ink “sweep speed” on the back of one my hands. Thanks

3 hours ago, HardPack said:

I still attempting to find a balance between depth and recovery speed. 

In my tests, I didn't find any notable depth or speed difference between 1 and the default recovery speed of 5. All the difference was between the default of 5 and the maximum of 10, in which there is a gradual depth difference of about 4" from 5 to 10.

I used to think a lot about recovery speed, but no more. I leave mine on 5 all the time now. Reason being, these newer SMF detectors are already extremely fast, even with the default recovery speed. In addition, the DD coils main detection field is a narrow strip from the toe to the heel of the coil, so that means the DD coils inherently have excellent separation. Put another way, going from 5 to 10 on the recovery speed, only provides marginal extra separation, but loses a lot of depth. To me, that significant depth loss isn't worth slightly better separation.

5 hours ago, HardPack said:

I still attempting to find a balance between depth and recovery speed. I picked up on the changes in signal duration at different recovery settings. This was not the ideal location, a flash flood several years back moved and deposit an erroneous amount of material. The best bedrock low pressure area appears to be across the stream which is too high for crossing this time of year. There’s a lot of juggling to remember with these new SMF detectors, I’ll ink “sweep speed” on the back of one my hands. Thanks

What size gold are you expecting to find with the Legend at the EMI Heavy Iron Trash Site with the LG24 coil?

55 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

What size gold are you expecting to find with the Legend

The largest nugget detected (by others) was 16 grams, the cemented benches are in the gram range, in the stream gravel/cervices in the grains. In the stream sluicing is a better use of time. Come Spring/Summer the old tailing piles are headed for a raking. Here are a few samples from the drainage. The largest is 16 grains to smallest less than 2 grains. Lower right center the round piece the size of a shot pellet is 6 grains, that is what I am after with a detector.IMG_0201.thumb.jpeg.73ecc765306125e04b0ce6bbceb82d4d.jpeg

Your Legend with LG 24 or LG 15 should have no problem finding any of the ones in the photo if they are 6" (for the bigger ones) or less deep. I wouldn't expect much more depth with the LG 24 or LG15 if your ground has any mineralization. Running up the sensitivity won't help that much either. The smallest ones may end up in giving iron target IDs if they aren't really close to the surface so running in the G discrimination pattern with recovery on 1 or 2 and iron filter above zero, you may miss them. I definitely would where I most often detect. 

Personally, I would use one of the 0.1 gram or so nuggets for a test nugget at that site and adjust your recovery speed up a bit so that you get a really sharp response. If recovery is too low (slow) it will elongate hot rock and larger target responses and those little nuggets may get bypassed. Same with the iron filter. Adjust it as low as possible so those smaller nuggets aren't turned into target ID 1, 2 or 3 responses.

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Same with the iron filter. Adjust it as low as possible so those smaller nuggets aren't turned into target ID 1, 2 or 3 responses.

What do you think about setting Discrim to All Metal? I am familiar enough with the hot rocks tones to select them out by ear. I know this going to drive me nuts but after a few digs I should know if the IF setting is in the ballpark.

15 hours ago, Digalicious said:

In my tests, I didn't find any notable depth or speed difference between 1 and the default recovery speed of 5

Double check me here. Assuming I remember to adjust sweep speed per the recovery setting (slower/lower; faster/higher) and sweeping over the same target:
The lower the recovery speed the longer the target signal duration; the higher the recovery speed the shorter the target signal duration?