The Hunt Before The Storm

Geologyhound

Got out for a little bit today before the storms were expected.  I was hunting an old home site (late 1800s through early 2000s) with a custom program built off of fast.  Lots of iron, so I increased the reactivity to around 2 to 2.5.

The old pocket watch is unfortunately missing the back, so I have no idea the age.  It was giving me a weird double signal with a fairly solid 72. I decided to dig it anyway because I kept getting a good tone at certain angles. Once I removed the new nail from 2 inches, the signal cleaned up to a good 72 and so did the tone.  The watch was another several inches down. I recovered a piece of the cover glass with it.  This is actually the second pocket watch I have found with the D2 this year, although neither one are in great condition…

Not too far away was the 1914 WHS medallion.  I am guessing it comes from a high school and the only one locally that matches would be Woodward. I plan to contact them to see if anyone can confirm if it is truly a class of 1914 medallion. 

The old car is a matchbox lotus number 19 from around 1966 to 1967. I also found the hammer for a cap gun and an auto city products company (Detroit Michigan) key. All the coins were modern.

I’ve been experimenting a little bit with large tones – especially large iron tones when I can get a fairly decent good tone from one discrete area (preferably not the end if it is an elongated iron).  If I can get a discreet good tone, I dig the tone even if pinpointing pulls me off to the side due to the larger signal.  This has resulted in several coins including today’s nickel. However I did get fooled on a large iron bolt.  

Thanks for looking and hope you’re having fun!

E413581C-E666-4BFB-9A48-EE78B7306ACB.jpeg

A7136FD6-6093-4D5D-9F97-3A12EFC3418D.jpeg

A nice assortment of finds.

Great relic hunt. I love the toy car. That would be my favorite find.

Great finds G-Hound! 👍 Nice 1914 medallion, the car is in surprisingly good shape. Good to see ya Kickin' it with the D2!

Thanks guys!  The car looks to be a little high mileage, so the bluebook on it might be on the low side.  But, I went back out to the same site and found three more cars!  I’m thinking of opening a used car lot. I can make you a good deal! 🤣

Tide car circa mid 90s. Ferrari early 90s and matchbox Ford corsair #45 early 50s. 

The two buckles were within about 8 inches of each other close to one of the two wheat pennies I found this trip.

The odd piece is the metal plate which appears to say “Cowwodol” on the flat side.  I am not sure what to make of the pattern on the other side. There are at least five holes through it like it was screwed onto something with small screws. There’s also two raised spots on opposite sides of the patterned side. Almost like it seated against another piece - like half of some sort of embossing press.  Any ideas on what this could be?

Update on the 1914 WHS medallion – A local historical society is interested and is doing some digging.  Hopefully they can find something.

C3F5E3C9-C524-438F-807D-9562A119012F.jpeg

50D7F2CC-7FB0-47B6-930C-E1F1C24CD75C.jpeg