Unable To Find Jewelry In House

I've helped look for lost items in people's houses with some success. I always try to start by having the person retrace their steps exactly if they can remember each step. As for locations......men generally hide stuff in the garage, workshop, master bedroom, den/study, and attic, in that order of likely spots. Women are more likely to hide things in the kitchen or pantry, master bedroom, and laundry room. A pin pointer can help sometimes, but, a regular detector isn't likely to help. Under certain circumstances, one with a tiny coil and with the sensitivity turned way down can work too.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cudamark said:

I've helped look for lost items in people's houses with some success. I always try to start by having the person retrace their steps exactly if they can remember each step. As for locations......men generally hide stuff in the garage, workshop, master bedroom, den/study, and attic, in that order of likely spots. Women are more likely to hide things in the kitchen or pantry, master bedroom, and laundry room. A pin pointer can help sometimes, but, a regular detector isn't likely to help. Under certain circumstances, one with a tiny coil and with the sensitivity turned way down can work too.

@cudamark Okay, thank you for the additional advice. 

14 hours ago, Manuel said:

Furthermore, in the house, we have a dog.

12 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

My grandmother used to be a hypnotist, and was able to help a lot of people remember where they had placed some items.

Maybe the dog ate the jewellery? You could hypnotise it to find out.. Seriously though, I hope you find the stash.. I'm also forever forgetting where I've put things, often finding them in places I've looked a million times before.. Good luck.. 

2 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Maybe the dog ate the jewellery? You could hypnotise it to find out.. Seriously though, I hope you find the stash.. I'm also forever forgetting where I've put things, often finding them in places I've looked a million times before.. Good luck.. 

I think the option with the dog can be excluded because the hidden package is too big 😅. It has a size of approximately 25x15x10cm.

• Like 1

Just let it be for a few weeks.  It will come to you, eventually.  It has happened to me before.  Just don't sell the house yet!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

On 7/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, Manuel said:

I just came across Magnetic Locators. Are these kinds of devices useful? The package also contains items made of metal. 

What is a "magnetic locator"? A magnet? If so, a magnet has virtually no effect on gold/silver/platinum, palladium, etc. Only iron/steel type objects.

I empathize as I've been in your shoes more than a couple times.  Invariably I end up finding whatever I hid, not by exhaustivey looking but just by stumbling across it (eventually) and then saying, "Oh, yeh, now I remember putting it there!"

True Story (and metal detector related!):

A friend and I were going to Las Vegas to bet (on American football) and got a pile of $100 bills.  I had heard the conspiracy theory that the USA government had put metal in $100 bills to be able to track people's money transport quantities as they went through the metal detectors at airports.  I was pretty sure this was BS but I decided to do an experiment to check the story's veracity.  So....

I went to my then near empty workshop (it had just been built) and set a couple saw-horses up with a plank across them to hold the money.  I used my Garrett Groundhog to see if I could pick up a signal.  One bill, then 10 bills, then 100 bills,...  Yes, I did get a peep but that was it -- just a barely perceptible signal.  Given that airport metal detectors are (necessarily) desensitized compared to what we use I confirmed that the conspiracy theory was bogus.  But....

After the test I counted the money and was $1000 short.  My first thought was that my friend (who had gotten the money at the bank and then handed it to me) had somehow either misplaced that much or (worse) that the bank had inadvertently shorted him.  He did a search and even went to the bank for them to do a balance check.  Both proved fruitless.  So we put in another grand and made our trip (losing it all, BTW, but that's another story.  :laugh:)  Some time after I returned home I happened to go into the shop to get the saw-horses and... there on the floor under them was a package of bills totalling $1k.  Needless to say I had a hard time cleaning the egg from my face, and my friend still razzes me about it on occasion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You hid a jewelry box (10" x 6" x 4") weighing about 2.5 pounds from thieves while you were gone and now can't remember where you hid it.  If it were me, I'd probably sit down and quietly and sincerely ask Jesus to help me find it. 

The other route would be to drink a couple of glasses of water and try to remember where you last saw it.   It is probably in that little room under the stairs, sitting there on top of the door jam.  You probably didn't even look when you hooked your arm up there and sit it down which is why you can't remember putting it there.  I guess that is where I would have put it.

Good luck.

HH
Mike