Review The Minelab X-Terra Pro

My review on the Minelab Xterra Pro. I rate this machine a 5 out of 5 but it does have a couple problems that I have noticed. The VDI is all over the place and not at all stable. BUT., With a little tinkering, I was able to make the machine quite stable. One thing for sure, this is a very sensitive machine. What I have discovered is to turn the sensitivity down, but not so far down that you are loosing deep targets. I find that in most cases I run mine at around 14 to 17. The second thing to do to get the VDI more stable is to Check and set the (AU) Freq now and then or anytime you make a change. Also, do a manual ground balance even with ground tracking now and then. If the VDI starts to jump around then experiment with these menu items.   The other thing I do not like about the exterra pro is that there is little or no bottle cap rejection. This is where you really need to pay close attention to your tones. One thing to do is swing the detector over the object and back it off so the target is at the edge of the coil. A bottle cap will start to sound trashy. Move the coil swing in cross way, try both directions. I really love this machine... Its perfect for beginners and pros alike. My second day at the beach, I found a $2400.00 dollar 18K Cuban gold chain. The day after, a 10k gold ring. Just a small one but it was gold. Get to know this machine. I have it down fairly well but I think in about 300 more hours, I should have it mastered. So over all... I give the Minelab Xterra Pro 5 stars out of 5 100% The build quality is great and well balanced. May you all find great treasures. Sincerely., Digging 4 Gold!

IMG_7138 (2).JPG

• Like 4

Nice gold and Xterra Pro review.

Regarding tge following:

1 hour ago, Swinging 4 gold said:

The second thing to do to get the VDI more stable is to Check and set the (AU) Freq now and then or anytime you make a change.

You are not talking changing the operating frequency but doing a noise cancel, correct? Can't find a reference to "AU" in the Instruction Manual but IIRC, "AU" shows up on the screen when you do a noise cancel.  

• Like 1

Being that it may be a phase inductor device, Its most likely compounding power so to eliminate un wanted harmonics (2nd 3rd etc) the AU circuit Shifts the set frequency thus keeping sensitivity with low noise. I know nothing about the workings of a metal detector but being a retired broadcast engineer, I suppose something to that affect. (filtering or shifting) Metal detectors operate at a very low freq compared to radio and high compared to sound. Anytime you amplify any device, you are bound to grab noise or create it on tx/rx Transmit and receive. I think why there is not much info on the AU and the newer Q stuff is they was to keep to themselves. Just a guess., 73'

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Review The Minelab X-Terra Pro