Drywashing Or Detecting

I have to make another post (rambling) so I don't get deleted. I read more than posting.🤗

Dry washing is by far my first choice in the Arizona desert.  Very happy with what I have found over the years using the Keene 151 and smaller Gold Buddy dry washers. That heavy Keene equipment is getting to me. 

Age is beginning to change my mind  toward more detecting.  Some detecting over the years has provided some nice gold specimens.   Hour for hour of usage the detector has provided more gold than the dry washer. Anxiously waiting for the Temps to drop so I can get more hours letting my new to me GPX5000 take me for more walks in this beautiful desert. Today should make 23 days of temps over 110 degrees.

• Like 6

On 7/24/2023 at 9:24 AM, Toms said:

Today should make 23 days of temps over 110 degrees.

Yea too hot to do much.  Evening the mornings are too warm.  I'm going to the other way I plan on more drywashing or putting together a recirc. sys. than detecting.

• Like 1

Swegin, there is supposed to be a cool down here in Congress, Az next week. Supposed to go down to 103/105.

Hopefully at the least some moisture will tame a lot of this dry grass so I will feel more "safe" and not have my exhaust pipe set a fire.. Always my serious concern this time of year and it is hard to find a safe area to park. those concerns come natural to a former fire fighter.

• Like 2

i agree, where are you located, were down here Yuma Foothills area, also waiting for temps to cool off and find guys to go out with so not alone if i hit my head or break my leg.... Done some detecting but shopping for dry washer for the winter season

• Like 1

KD0TS here.

We are in the Congress area just North of Wickenburg. 

You might do a search on line for prospecting clubs close to where you are. Usually some others close to you are looking for someone to go with you/them.

I do belong to the Roadrunners prospectors club. They have claims all over. A little pricey but a decent group.

• Like 2

There is also the Gold Prospectors Association of Phoenix. I'm not a member but, did meet some of them at the last Camelback Coin Show.  The next show is August 13th. I'm planning on attending. Need to add more Morgan's to my collection. Which reminds me, I need to show off some of the coins found metal detecting out at Fortuna Mine. That was back in the early 70's. Can't do it now since it is within the Barry Goldwater Reserve. One of which is an 1883 'O' Morgan. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 12:29 AM, AZSilver said:

There is also the Gold Prospectors Association of Phoenix. I'm not a member but, did meet some of them at the last Camelback Coin Show.  The next show is August 13th. I'm planning on attending. Need to add more Morgan's to my collection. Which reminds me, I need to show off some of the coins found metal detecting out at Fortuna Mine. That was back in the early 70's. Can't do it now since it is within the Barry Goldwater Reserve. One of which is an 1883 'O' Morgan. 

Yeah, Phoenix is 178 miles away, im trying to create a local group

On 7/28/2023 at 4:08 PM, Toms said:

KD0TS here.

We are in the Congress area just North of Wickenburg. 

You might do a search on line for prospecting clubs close to where you are. Usually some others close to you are looking for someone to go with you/them.

I do belong to the Roadrunners prospectors club. They have claims all over. A little pricey but a decent group.

nice to meet you

W7ATR