Military Button In My Yard.

You never know what you might find in your own yard.

RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) brass button. Found 100 feet from my house in an area I've detected heavily before...

thumbnail_20230807_181226-2.thumb.jpg.e381d43ce93e07561c053fd52236aefc.jpg

That's a fine looking button fogrider, nice score.

Harks me back to my first button find, a WW1 general service button I dug in my backyard. It had serious bronze disease.

I later found a few colonial buttons and didn't know for a while that they were much older, but I was hooked!

That's a great button, nice shape. What detector were you using?

32 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

That's a fine looking button fogrider, nice score.

And do you do you know it's history and age? Once again handsome looking button....I like it!

I'm using a CTX 3030. I decided to go 50 tones, all metal.

Went back a few minutes ago and found a companion button and a 1938 US cent, all within a 3 foot circle.

This area is full of farm trash, so hunting it is tedious, but obviously worthwhile....

thumbnail_20230807_194958.thumb.jpg.322382cfa9d825e397b4331db7b179a3.jpgthumbnail_20230807_194943.thumb.jpg.382e1d2aaee4866d3cf2b2ddb840a061.jpg

Was there any WWII Air Force bases in your area, because there were a lot of U.S.A.  people who had flight training there so they could go to war before the USA officially entered the war. They would train in Canada and then go to England to fight.

Very nice buttons and great finds for sure.

I'm not aware of any RAF training site in my area, but that makes sense. I live in Northern Alberta. Perhaps someone was visiting from one of the 4 RAF training schools in Alberta during WW2. My farm was homesteaded in 1930.

The lettering on the second button is legible. I just read that these buttons were made by a company called Cheney in Birmingham UK.

Some had a compass hidden inside. There were two compass designs. Early ones had a 4-star compass with a right-hand thread back, later ones had a 4-hole type compass with a left-hand thread back (to fool the Germans, who had discovered the earlier design). These two buttons ar regular types, without a compass.

Needless to say, I'll search this area again. It's full of farm litter, so detecting is slow and tedious.

thumbnail_20230808_035225.thumb.jpg.a4afce66298ba39dd1cb348de0b1219f.jpg