How Would You Like To Run Into This Big Boy Out Detecting?

Funny the situations between a black bear attack and a grizzly bear attack are just the opposite of what I have believed all my life. Fortunately for me I have never come across a bear that wasn't running away from me when I saw it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2023 at 3:31 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Lanny

I ran across a guy walking out from way back in there and I was already about 30 miles off any road . This all took place in Alaska. He had run out of shotgun shells trying to keep the black bears off of him and he was going to get help to get his equipment out .

Like a Alaskian told me if a black bear comes after you he wants to eat you. A Grizzly will come after you not so much to eat you but he wants you out of his territory.

It’s best to be the fastest runner in your group.haha  

Bye the time I got home I had been a little over 12000 miles on that one trip. 
Chuck 

Chuck, you're absolutely right. A black bear is much more likely to eat you after the kill. A grizzly is mostly responding to what it sees as a threat, or to defend a kill. All the historical evidence supports that, which doesn't mean grizzlies don't ever eat people. Personally, I don't go into grizzly country anymore...I'm too old to outrun the younger guys, and can't find a one-legged guy to buddy up with.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Jim it’s good to always have a friend and carry a gun. If a bear gets after both of you remember don’t shoot the bear shoot your friend to slow him down so the bear don’t get you.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never had any dealings with a bear until I went to Alaska but Cougars is a different story. I had a place that one stayed on it and would see others often. This guy was going to hunt on it one year and I told him to watch out for it but he blew me off. That’s until it jumped up in front of him one day. 
Chuck 

• Like 3

I've called in more than one lion. Always hunted alone. Always gave me a sore neck, at the end of the day, trying to look behind myself. Lions are always a treat to see, and where hunted, rarely dangerous to people, though not always. Had a bow-hunting buddy have one leap at him, and he got lucky and hit it in the neck. If not for that lucky shot, he may have been in real trouble.

I was hunting alone once, and ended up on the ground with two black bears, too. They were working a cow carcus, while I was sneaking in trying to get an arrow into the bigger one. The whole thing lasted an hour, or more, and took two shots...neither connecting. At the time I felt cool as a cucumber, but when I got back to camp I was so sick with the adrenaline rush, I couldn't even eat dinner...just went to bed. I killed that bigger bear from a tree stand a couple of weeks later.  I was young and tough back then, and didn't even carry a back-up firearm. Looking back i sometimes wonder how I got to 75 years of age....LOL

Jim

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can relate because I would trap every year and run my traps about midnight then again just before daylight not thinking about that cat. I just carried a 22 with 22 shorts to put down what was not so lucky.

I remember the time I caught two half grown coons in a trap together each had a leg in it . I didn’t want to kill them and here I was with two sticks to keep them off of me . I had them between my legs trying to get my boots on the springs to release them. All three of us were happy to live another day.

Deer I guess you could say was heavy are lots but I didn’t hunt them too often. I did shoot one for trespassing now and then if I needed the meat to make sausage.

Time passed but great memories.

Chuck 

• Like 3

Speaking of which, I am back in Montana camped up by my claims in griz country. Glad to be out of rattlesnake country for a few months.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I can relate because I would trap every year and run my traps about midnight then again just before daylight not thinking about that cat. I just carried a 22 with 22 shorts to put down what was not so lucky.

I remember the time I caught two half grown coons in a trap together each had a leg in it . I didn’t want to kill them and here I was with two sticks to keep them off of me . I had them between my legs trying to get my boots on the springs to release them. All three of us were happy to live another day.

Deer I guess you could say was heavy are lots but I didn’t hunt them too often. I did shoot one for trespassing now and then if I needed the meat to make sausage.

Time passed but great memories.

Chuck 

Chuck, you ever think of the funny, and great videos you wish had been made of yourself, back in the day? I was telling Chris tonight of the time I had the starter go out on the Ford, way back in the Pahsimeroi Valley. Had the Rokon in the back. Came back from hunting and starter wouldn't turn. Truck was nose-on to a big brushpile (stupid). Unloaded Rokon, and used it to get truck pulled back and turned around. That took about 10 tries. Then downhill wasn't steep enuf to get truck rolling, so tied Rokon to truck with dog's long rope. Then pulled truck to get moving, drove Rokon off side of two-track, and dropped, quickly untied rope from truck as it's moving, opened door, and jumped in. Of course all this required about 15 attempts to get right. A speed up video of all that would have made Charlie Chaplain laugh 'til his guts ached. I remember on the way home I felt like I did a decathlon...LOL. Don't want to think about being on the ground, close range, with two coons. Now that would be fun to watch. Those things are mean, and tough. Much tougher to kill than a badger IMHO.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't want to kill any animals and would only do so as a very last resort in self-defense. Like in this short clip. Imagine he would not have had a self-defense tool. Lucky though that everyone lived, but man...

BTW, I don't think these were intended to be warning shots. Also, brave that he filmed with only one hand on the gun. I would have used both...

So how did we get here? Ah yes, definitely no headphones for me in the mountains 🙂

GC

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

9 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I don't want to kill any animals and would only do so as a very last resort in self-defense. Like in this short clip. Imagine he would not have had a self-defense tool. Lucky though that everyone lived, but man...

BTW, I don't think these were intended to be warning shots. Also, brave that he filmed with only one hand on the gun. I would have used both...

So how did we get here? Ah yes, definitely no headphones for me in the mountains 🙂

GC

Now THAT would be scary!

Jim

• Like 2