Highbanking Sand Using A Wool Blanket

I ran 2 buckets of sand from my local gold producing river through my modified Geo highbanker and caught this much gold. So..........when the river is too high, dig the sand. You will come home with at least some gold. Easy digging, no holes to fill in and stay in shape for your next prospecting trip. Check it out...https://youtu.be/43KHLnsgoks

aug31d.jpg.2942d0adaa4347882d6ddc61134b3f84.jpg

Feels strange not having any tailings build up behind the hopper.

aug31f.jpg.fde94f04547c83975554c11821a6e107.jpg

Nice work and it looks to do very well for you.

Good luck on your next outing.

That not a bad looking result. Ill have remember that, where was this river ?

22 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

the North Saskatchewan River

Oh man, I'm totally jumping your claim....right after that short 25 hour+ drive from Indiana! 😆

Anyways, you're running a similar idea as to what I was thinking of. Here in Indiana, the good state forest territory where I find the most gold at prohibits anything equipment-wise beyond panning, including a "no shovels" policy. So highbankers and even hand sluices are out of the question. 

What I thought about doing instead was using car floor mat, wool mat, or something similar to drop into the creek and scoop into, something good at catching gold that doesn't "technically" meet the definition of a "sluice". Would only work in the winter months, most likely -- the best creeks are dry in the summer here.  

1 hour ago, glacialgold said:

Oh man, I'm totally jumping your claim....right after that short 25 hour+ drive from Indiana! 😆

Anyways, you're running a similar idea as to what I was thinking of. Here in Indiana, the good state forest territory where I find the most gold at prohibits anything equipment-wise beyond panning, including a "no shovels" policy. So highbankers and even hand sluices are out of the question. 

What I thought about doing instead was using car floor mat, wool mat, or something similar to drop into the creek and scoop into, something good at catching gold that doesn't "technically" meet the definition of a "sluice". Would only work in the winter months, most likely -- the best creeks are dry in the summer here.  

Good luck with your ideas! Heck, just grab a cotton beach blanket, dump a pile sand on it, then drag it through the water. Repeat Repeat Repeat!

6 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

just grab a cotton beach blanket

Then take a few coat hangers and open them up to form a U or a V, and then insert them into the blanket to form a few crude ripples in the towel or blanket. They do make a decent sluice that way for small creeks and catch a lot of flour gold. Then if someone comes up on you, just pull in the towel or blanket and start folding it up so you don't lose what you have found.