Jump to content

Innovations Used In Today's Metal Detectors


Recommended Posts

I have acquired both an XLT and a DFX in the past year or so.  I was thinking about giving one to a friend.  It's been a while since I've swung either.  I went back and watched the Instructional Videos and was surprised to find adjustments that have been incorporated into more modern machines.  Things like Sweep Speed, Recovery Speed, Iron Bias, Tone ID, Notch Discrimination, Custom Programs and let's not forget, VDI.  I'm actually leaning toward keeping the DFX and giving him the XLT.  Everyone needs at least one classic Whites, right?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Both the XLT and DFX are still comparable to many more modern upper end detectors. My MXT can hold it's own quite well under most conditions and it does not have near their adjustability.  I really enjoy having a wide variety of make & models of machines.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to own an old metal box Whites machine, especially one of the higher end models like that.  Sadly, it's a near impossibility with none being sold into the country so they're rare as hens' teeth and importing one is just far too expensive.

Improvements in detectors over time aren't all that dramatic it seems.  I wonder if they were everyday devices like mobile phones where everyone has one and there were multiple big players with billions in backing competing would the technology develop faster and better than it has now with them being such small companies with limited budgets. 

Have they reached their limits, or have they reached their limits with the engineering pool available to the companies making them, that's the big question, I think.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Innovations Used In Today's Metal Detectors

Ive owned a lot of Whites units and still have nostalgic happy memories of using Goldmaster VSAT, Goldmaster 3, MXT, GMT, TDI and lastly the 24K. I often glance at a GMT at a pawnbroker near me.....sad and unappreciated on a wall for many months. Definitely worth the $600 asking price. Maybe after I pay for my Nokta Legend, I'll end up grabbing it. Seems like no-one else is gonna 😞 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2023 at 5:01 PM, Aureous said:

Ive owned a lot of Whites units and still have nostalgic happy memories of using Goldmaster VSAT, Goldmaster 3, MXT, GMT, TDI and lastly the 24K. I often glance at a GMT at a pawnbroker near me.....sad and unappreciated on a wall for many months. Definitely worth the $600 asking price. Maybe after I pay for my Nokta Legend, I'll end up grabbing it. Seems like no-one else is gonna 😞 

That seems a bit much.  The bottom has fallen out of the preowned White's market.  Most are going for $200 to $300 (maybe $400 in mint condition) with possibly the exception of the Spectra V3i (saw one for $750), GMX Sport (bought mine for $800.  It still had the stock batteries in it), or GM24K.  However, with Garrett bringing the 24K back, the Whites model isn't worth as much as it could have.

You NEED  a metal box White's!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

That seems a bit much.  The bottom has fallen out of the preowned White's market.  Most are going for $200 to $300 (maybe $400 in mint condition) with possibly the exception of the Spectra V3i (saw one for $750), GMX Sport (bought mine for $800.  still had the stock batteries in it), or GM24K.  However, with Garrett bringing the 24K back, the Whites model isn't worth as much as it could have.

You NEED  a metal box White's!

Yeah thats Aussie dollars of course, they were AU$1100 new here. Most high frequency VLF's with ground tracking sell for C. AU$800 here, so its value for us lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2023 at 6:15 PM, Aureous said:

Yeah thats Aussie dollars of course, they were AU$1100 new here. Most high frequency VLF's with ground tracking sell for C. AU$800 here, so its value for us lol

My bad!  I should have looked at your location and not presumed you were in the U.S.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...