Zinc Pennies Vs Gold Rings

TripleT

Officially my season just came to an abrupt end due to weather.

An observation that I've had; and wondering if anyone else has come to the same conclusion.

The large gold rings that I have recovered this year have had TIDs of 51, 61 and 69.  The 51 is usually outside the range of zinc pennies but depending on oxidation of target and soil mineralization it fits.

The 2d screen is the game changer.  Yes I can hear the difference in smoothness of sound between gold and zinc most of the time.  When in doubt check the screen. Fresh zinc always gets dug because the trace shows no bleeding.  

This is why you dig pennies! Just the fat ones...😀  Thoughts?

I dig all the pennies regardless. I really don't come across that many and I'm digging in easy soft sand at the beach so why risk it? I come home with maybe 6-10 pennies on a 5 hour hunt. I know your digging situation is different, but I can't contribute thoughts on passing up pennies.

I do pass up most pull tabs that hit 29-31. There are just way too many of them on my beaches. I'm starting to hear the differences between can slaw that is hitting 10-20 and non-can slaw targets using Prospecting Audio theme. We have a lot of can slaw also. Foil at 12 and under also has a particular hit sound compared to non-foil in that range. 

I'm still learning to tune my ears after having this machine for 10 months. You gotta dig enough garbage targets to hear the difference from the rare good targets in that lower range. Prospecting audio helps for sure when the garbage slaw and foil targets still show as a nice clean dot on the line.

Interesting.  I tried prospecting mode a couple times.  Too much garbage or iron where I detect.  Will have to try it more in the spring.  

As for pennies.  I have had days when the ground is soft.  That I have dug 500 pennies.(I really did count them.) There are some school yards in Calgary that make your detector's signal sound like a machine gun.

Thanks for the tip!

10 hours ago, TripleT said:

An observation that I've had; and wondering if anyone else has come to the same conclusion.

The large gold rings that I have recovered this year have had TIDs of 51, 61 and 69.  The 51 is usually outside the range of zinc pennies but depending on oxidation of target and soil mineralization it fits.

The 2d screen is the game changer.  Yes I can hear the difference in smoothness of sound between gold and zinc most of the time.  When in doubt check the screen. Fresh zinc always gets dug because the trace shows no bleeding.  

This is why you dig pennies! Just the fat ones...😀  Thoughts?

I think maybe your thinking too much and you got me thinking a little 🙂  I dont remember seeing much bleeding on corroded zinc pennies but I'll pay more attention when I get back to the hunt. I did a chart on corroded zinc a while back the numbers are all over the place...

strick 

9 hours ago, TripleT said:

Interesting.  I tried prospecting mode a couple times.  Too much garbage or iron where I detect.  Will have to try it more in the spring.  

As for pennies.  I have had days when the ground is soft.  That I have dug 500 pennies.(I really did count them.) There are some school yards in Calgary that make your detector's signal sound like a machine gun.

Thanks for the tip!

You do have a ton of pennies! As far as Prospecting audio, I'm combining it with Upper 4 and Lower 0 Ferrous Limits to identify the iron and I run All Metal mode. It grunts away if I hit an old bolt or screw or tent stake. I keep iron volume at about half of what my regular volume is. Good round targets (coins, rings, earrings) bang hard and crisp to your ear compared to foil or slaw with Prospecting Audio. Just need to put the time in to train your ear to hear the difference, but it's there.

17 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

You do have a ton of pennies! As far as Prospecting audio, I'm combining it with Upper 4 and Lower 0 Ferrous Limits to identify the iron and I run All Metal mode. It grunts away if I hit an old bolt or screw or tent stake. I keep iron volume at about half of what my regular volume is. Good round targets (coins, rings, earrings) bang hard and crisp to your ear compared to foil or slaw with Prospecting Audio. Just need to put the time in to train your ear to hear the difference, but it's there.

what a about necklaces/chain do you feel its worth to learn prospecting audio? I tried prospecting audio few times too but my brain cant make sense of the audio feedback.. I'm more on all region enhanced audio.. I'm trying to figure out the best combinations to maximize the potential of finding necklace/chain .. lol. Sorry to hijack thread..

7 minutes ago, fishersari said:

what a about necklaces/chain

Sorry, I haven't found enough chains to learn the sound. Too much competition here that snaps them up right away. I have found a few, but not enough to give info on the audio differences. 

I think most people who have become used to regional high to low tone modes will have a harder time adjusting to Prospecting than someone who hasn't used regional. I rely on the target ID more to identify what type of metal it is and use the sounds to try to separate trash from good.

14 hours ago, fishersari said:

what a about necklaces/chain do you feel its worth to learn prospecting audio? I tried prospecting audio few times too but my brain cant make sense of the audio feedback.. I'm more on all region enhanced audio.. I'm trying to figure out the best combinations to maximize the potential of finding necklace/chain .. lol. Sorry to hijack thread..

I run the same settings as TampaBayBrad and have found the prospecting audio to be the best for my ears. It is a sharp sound whenever it hits on non-ferrous metal and being in the soft Florida sand makes recovery easy to do and I don't have to give too much thought / decision to dig a target.

This stainless-steel chain with a sterling medal gave a mixed sort of sounds and came out about 8 inches deep in the wet salt sand. The earring is 925 and the ring copper.

I have found around 5 gold chains, nothing big, using these settings and lots of steel chains. Will post some pics when I get them together. If anything sounds close to being good and occasionally the iron grunts...I dig it

neckless sterling.JPG

8 hours ago, okara gold said:

If anything sounds close to being good and occasionally the iron grunts...I dig it

Yes sir! If there are small grunts mixed in with some good sharp bangs, it's junk jewelry sometimes which is still fun to find. 

I need to break my no gold chain streak. You are hitting solid hunting areas to pick up five. Good hunting...👍