Small Coil?

H20waterhunter

15 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I don't understand "mooted", what does that mean?

In the crapper?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means under discussion.

On 12/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

I would think a small elliptical would round out the stable nicely and it doesn't need to be waterproof necessarily. It would be nice, but I'd take a "Land Only" version for relics and trashy parks.

They can easily make it waterproof by putting the battery in the shaft like they did with the white Deus 1 HF coils (such that it can be used on land or shallow water).  The rub is making it dive proof to match the advertised capabilities of the D2 platform (though this did not stop them from releasing the Xtreme Hunter which also obviously can't be used in the water, much less at dive depth).  This "technical issue" seems to be a small hurdle unless the coil electronics package volume is also a problem in that small coil form factor. 

Frankly, I'm done waiting for it and doing just fine without it as the other coils have not prevented me from doing anything I want or need to do with the D2 from hot dirt relic hunting, dodging corn stalks and cotton stubble, hitting salt beaches and routine coin shooting, so I am not losing any sleep over it.  I've learned after 10 years that XP is gonna do what it's CEO wants to do, not what its customers necessarily want, although they have been listening to us more attentively lately.   I don't really see it as a technically impossible ask, it really comes down to whether XP themselves see/understand the need, want to expend the effort and what they expect the return on investment will be.

Moot is a funny word - in the UK it means subject to discussion.  In the US it is more commonly used in the sense that the issue has been resolved (one way or another), therefore further discussion is pointless.  Almost completely opposite meanings.

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

In the crapper?

“…therefore further discussion is pointless. ”I’d like to “moot” that point by saying XP has the sales numbers for the XP Deus HF 9x5 waterproof 13 to 81 kHz coil. That elliptical shape added versatility to the XP Deus “Goldfield” program for a number of owners who found themselves detecting in the brush.

58 minutes ago, HardPack said:

“…therefore further discussion is pointless. ”I’d like to “moot” that point by saying XP has the sales numbers for the XP Deus HF 9x5 waterproof 13 to 81 kHz coil. That elliptical shape added versatility to the XP Deus “Goldfield” program for a number of owners who found themselves detecting in the brush.

First of all, I never said further discussion is pointless, I was merely pointing out the irony of the opposite meanings of "moot" as used in the UK vs. US (English as a second language).

Second, XP knows all of what you stated much as we do as we've been asking for the small coil REPEATEDLY for more than two years and while making all those points.  Ever since the D2 was announced, about six months before release.  Send them an email.  We're not the ones being non-responsive for two years.  I'm simply being realistic based on XP's silence is deafening stance. There are other alternatives out there for subgram gold, which is not something I delve into much (though I do have the other detectors that can get after it) and for bushwhacking (Legend/Nox/Deus 1, if necessary, and Manticore with the M8).  If XP wants to forgo that market, then that's on them.  I'm done wailing into the darkness.

15 minutes ago, HardPack said:

That coil has helped me immensely in a number of applications hence my more than sparse and continued use of the d1. I use it almost exclusively to navigate through a virtual sea of thick star thistles that have invaded a number of the sites that I hunt here in North Western California.Then there is the brush as you mentioned and rock-piles too.The 9 inch round coils are rendered pretty much useless in some of these situations and forget about the 11x13.

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

and for bushwhacking (Legend/Nox/Deus 1, if necessary, and Manticore with the M8).  If XP wants to forgo that market, then that's on them.

Totally agree. Without a 9x5 coil offering current XP Deus owners have a weakened incentive to move up to the Deus II. A lot of real competition out there, ignoring customer requests not very wise of XP.

3 hours ago, HardPack said:

Totally agree. Without a 9x5 coil offering current XP Deus owners have a weakened incentive to move up to the Deus II. A lot of real competition out there, ignoring customer requests not very wise of XP.

There are actually a LOT of incentives to move on from the Deus 1 despite the lack of the small coil.  It's addressed a lot of the D1 shortcomings with respect to user interface, added SMF and retained single frequency operation, fixed Full Tones discrimination issues still present on the D1, improved ground handling overall (primarily a function of SMF), it has a great noise cancelling implementation, added multiple audio enhancements that make it an even better machine in iron, and added notch to Gold Field/Relic to knock out ground noise and the latest update improve Gold Field micro target sensitivity.  I haven't used my D1 since I got my hands on the D2.  But there is still room for improvement, beside the small elliptical, having a mono frequency option for the Gold Field and Relic programs would be welcome.  But right now, like I said, its not holding me back much and from what I can tell, sales have been robust.  Which unfortunately means that we'll probably be waiting awhile for that coil to come along.

1 hour ago, HardPack said:

Perhaps there is Deus II sales volume break point before XP invests in new coils.  

They were probably focused solely on releasing the Xtreme Hunter two-box coil so they could recoup their R&D investment after announcing it 6 years ago.  Maybe now that is behind them, they can focus on a fifth coil.