New Permission Got Its Two Cents In

10 hours ago, kac said:

Nice 64! Grounds look really promising.

Thanks kac,

We thought so too, but I'm pretty sure this place got hit really hard in the past. It should have produced a lot more in less time than it did. 🫤 I'm afraid it will only give up random finds after lots of searching. I think I know who was there before.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

Good job soldier...love that 2 cent piece.  👍

Thanks Colonel, that was one I didn't have, so I'm happy to get a good one. It was a solid 85 like a (good) Zincoln, memorials come in at 90, and IHPs for some reason are 80.

The digging conditions were so good, it's really sad that I had to go to such great lengths to find anything. There is no mineralization. That copper scale plate was over a foot deep.

• Like 2

That's a good lookin Two center 350! It is always great to see the old stuff....Looks like it's game on!

• Thanks 1

Looks like a lot of bullets and shotgun shells. Still, if I could turn up a two cent piece at a hunted out site, I would be happy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

That's a good lookin Two center 350! It is always great to see the old stuff....Looks like it's game on!

Thanks Doc,

Well yes... And no. 😀 While one find proves Colonial activity and others are in line with the family that has owned this place since, it's like another of my permissions that has to be thoroughly checked for hot spots. This farm was apparently not a center of social activity or much to do with horses, which signal better finds like buttons, old jewelry, and coins.

If my suspicion is correct it was cherry picked for all the easy silver coins, so finding iron patches and digging some of it out will be de rigueur. 😅 From the date on the 2¢ piece it would indicate a probability for at least a Trime, a very difficult coin to find.

100 acres might not seem like much, but you're talking 4 million square feet 🤔

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

It looks like great hunting grounds, and all things considered, that 2 cent piece is in great shape.

Are you guys giving up on it, or going to give it another go?

Thanks Dig,

The farm is nothing short of excellent condition-wise, easy non-mineral loose dirt. Some of y'all would kill for these conditions, but it's so big it's not really suitable for a grid search which would produce the most return, and render it done. 😀 I'm sure I'll return to it but I do have other farms that IMO have much higher potential than this one after this survey. 🙂 

• Like 2