New Permission Got Its Two Cents In

1 hour ago, Geologyhound said:

Looks like a lot of bullets and shotgun shells. Still, if I could turn up a two cent piece at a hunted out site, I would be happy!

I agree Ghound!

That is what made the difference, finding a coin I've not found. I'm kind of spoiled from my "find/minute" digs elsewhere, this one is going to take some fortitude. 🙄 It appears that my predecessors spent a lot of time there, and know where to look themselves. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Doc,

Well yes... And no. 😀 While one find proves Colonial activity and others are in line with the family that has owned this place since, it's like another of my permissions that has to be thoroughly checked for hot spots. This farm was apparently not a center of social activity or much to do with horses, which signal better finds like buttons, old jewelry, and coins.

If my suspicion is correct it was cherry picked for all the easy silver coins, so finding iron patches and digging some of it out will be de rigueur. 😅 From the date on the 2¢ piece it would indicate a probability for at least a Trime, a very difficult coin to find.

100 acres might not seem like much, but you're talking 4 million square feet 🤔

Exactly.  We'll be back because we only scratched the surface.  It needs more surveys and crossing across the heart of the site to see if something is being overlooked.  It's not super promising because of the cherry picking and the lack of obvious "social" uses.   But as Bob has found on other sites, if they were really good cherry pickers then that 2c piece should not have been left in the ground nor the Largie I found and the multiple silvers Bob found at one of the other so-called "cherry picked and pounded sites".   It not probable Bob found the only bucket lister that was left on a 100 acre site.  There is a site we keep going back to because it is historic and we have hunches that it will produce though we have crisscrossed it several times without a lot to show for it.   But last time we were there it coughed up a silver quarter spill in an area we had detected several times before.  How does that happen?  Bottom line, it is rare that we totally give up on a site until we are just fed up with it or have that sixth sense that it is not going to happen.  :smile:

• Like 2

Wow, F350, that looks like a great hunt to me and that 2 Cent coin is a beauty, well done! If that's just the first visit, that farm surely still has goodies the cherry pickers missed. Good job to you and Chase. I know you guys have better sites, but I'd kill for a site like that. 😏 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, F350, that looks like a great hunt to me and that 2 Cent coin is a beauty, well done! If that's just the first visit, that farm surely still has goodies the cherry pickers missed. Good job to you and Chase. I know you guys have better sites, but I'd kill for a site like that. 😏 

Dare I say that all of my permissions are like this 🫢 at certain times. You can see by my sunset photo that they turbo tilled the corn stalks in front of my house, it's flat but it's like walking on a paper dump. I'm not complaining tho! 😅 This part of the USA is mostly glacial deposit of sand, clay and silt from the runoff. Very few rocks and no minerals to speak of.

This farm was a dream, beans harvested, cover crop spread, and tilled to work the barley into the ground. In the spring they will have to kill it before it gets too established. Some of the land harvested earlier already has higher grass because it's been warm, a few more frosts will halt it. But all that glitters... 🤔

We were allowed to dig around the old home place, and that was the real giveaway that others were there before us.

• Like 1

All in all, very nice,

• Thanks 1

Nice  2 cent  , that would be enough left behinds to make me go back.  

4 million ,,,,hmmm  already took a good first bite out of it though. But still could take decades of toil !   Even with perfect soil and a big coil.

Considering that you have so many acres of other permissions to comb. .

Priority ranking  makes a lot of sense.. 🖖   

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 8:13 AM, F350Platinum said:

Thanks kac,

We thought so too, but I'm pretty sure this place got hit really hard in the past. It should have produced a lot more in less time than it did. 🫤 I'm afraid it will only give up random finds after lots of searching. I think I know who was there before.

Time to dig out the smaller coil and hit the trashiest spots for that trime horde out there somewheres......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kac said:

Time to dig out the smaller coil and hit the trashiest spots for that trime horde out there somewheres......

I'll definitely go back, right now the 9" is on the WSA-6 Master with a waveguide. 😀 Might work out ok in that field. 🤔

I'm going to hit the water one last time soon, then I'll be able to use the 9" in my other places. 🙂

• Like 1