Monster 13.5 Gram Bvlgari Gold, I'm Speechless.

A once-in-a-lifetime find and truly inspirational - congrats on that beauty!!! I would imagine that there is a serial number on that ring so maybe Bulgari would help with a return? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Skull diver said:

I like parables seasoned with a little story....

In spite of beauty or monetary value, the real treasure is the meaning of that piece to the wearer.

Would love a happy ending and return to who lost it but my experience with resorts in Mexico and not wanting to keep a Lost & Found Log is frustrating.  I did go above and emailed cooperate when I returned, but no reply yet.  

Personally I feel the dentures are more appropriate to the rightful owner, but if I do get them back, it could be too late.

Either way, I like your comment "the real treasure is the meaning of that piece to the wearer".  Sure I may not get it back to the original owner, but it beats sitting on the bottom of the ocean for nobody to ever see again.  Eventually it will shine and shine a smile on someone's face/finger/neck as they proudly wear it.  

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, Compass said:

A once-in-a-lifetime find and truly inspirational - congrats on that beauty!!! I would imagine that there is a serial number on that ring so maybe Bulgari would help with a return? 

No serial # at all which is very interesting for a high end designer.  Maybe they feel they can sell more of them as the person who lost it could just purchase another?  I really have no clue as scooping designer bling rings is not something I do on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Travel insurance likely paid for a replacement for the person, if they get it back, they've had their insurance payout and get the ring 🙂

This one is yours Gerry, and well deserved, you put in the hours and are rewarded with the find.  

A very good find indeed, it brings back my thoughts I'm wasting my time looking for natural gold when I could be pounding the local tourist beaches finding rings which I've put very little effort into even though in any given day more tourists are in the town than there are locals by a significant number, usually a 2 to 3 to 1 ratio.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Either way, I like your comment "the real treasure is the meaning of that piece to the wearer".  Sure I may not get it back to the original owner, but it beats sitting on the bottom of the ocean for nobody to ever see again.  Eventually it will shine and shine a smile on someone's face/finger/neck as they proudly wear

On the other hand, in the absence of a mark, a name, a serial, it occurs to me that it was one of those rings worn purely to flaunt something....

Very clearly, I see 13.5 grams being a respectable sum to support future research.

Think that in Europe, thanks to the new legislation, we are all delinquent until proven.

So what I find, if not specifically marked, is money.

And if I have to risk jail time, let it at least be for something.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 12:14 PM, phrunt said:

Travel insurance likely paid for a replacement for the person, if they get it back, they've had their insurance payout and get the ring 🙂

This one is yours Gerry, and well deserved, you put in the hours and are rewarded with the find.  

A very good find indeed, it brings back my thoughts I'm wasting my time looking for natural gold when I could be pounding the local tourist beaches finding rings which I've put very little effort into even though in any given day more tourists are in the town than there are locals by a significant number, usually a 2 to 3 to 1 ratio.

I never even thought of the Insurance write off.  

Yes, my wife and I purchase travel insurance each time we go but I'll have to ask her if any jewelry or metal detectors are covered.  I also take two units and hate leaving one in the room all day/every day.

Simon, If you do have beaches nearby that get tourists, you really do need to take advantage of the situation and area.  I'm sure your beaches do not have the amount of MD'ers swinging them each week.  When I arrived, I chatted with the lifeguard and gave him a pair of glasses.  He said 2 guys together were there about 3 weeks ago and then an old guy was there last week.  I realized someone had been at the resort recently as lack of overall targets.

I average an extra 2 to 4 ounces of gold each year from water detecting.  The sights are much better to look at, the water temps are relaxing and just like gold hunting, you really never know for certain when that next scoop will bring up.

• Like 7

On 12/20/2023 at 10:37 PM, Skull diver said:

On the other hand, in the absence of a mark, a name, a serial, it occurs to me that it was one of those rings worn purely to flaunt something....

Very clearly, I see 13.5 grams being a respectable sum to support future research.

Think that in Europe, thanks to the new legislation, we are all delinquent until proven.

So what I find, if not specifically marked, is money.

And if I have to risk jail time, let it at least be for something.

I have not given up yet.  This resort I have been to before, when I asked to see the Lost/Found Logbook, they said, No book.  I recently reached out to cooperate and they immediately replied that someone from the exact resort would be emailing me.  This was yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

• Like 2

Next year take the Axiom with you Gerry to see if some targets are deeper than a VLF will hit. Better have a real good scoop, lol and dig fast before the sand fills back in. Few years ago I was detecting a beach near Cartagena Colombia.  The local beach vendors were amazed, acted like they had never seen a metal detector before. One guy followed me around for an hour until he got tired of watching me find bottle caps (checas). Soon as he left I found a sterling silver ring in knee deep water, followed by a men’s gold band shortly there after. Seems there’s not many beach hunters around that area. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt4gold said:

Next year take the Axiom with you Gerry to see if some targets are deeper than a VLF will hit. Better have a real good scoop, lol and dig fast before the sand fills back in. Few years ago I was detecting a beach near Cartagena Colombia.  The local beach vendors were amazed, acted like they had never seen a metal detector before. One guy followed me around for an hour until he got tired of watching me find bottle caps (checas). Soon as he left I found a sterling silver ring in knee deep water, followed by a men’s gold band shortly there after. Seems there’s not many beach hunters around that area. 

Matt, I've used PI's with Success on certain beaches and in some nice water hunts.  One of my Field Staff/I actually tested the Garrett AXT many years ago in Cancun and found some gold. We were slowed down by the amount of iron trash.

In your situation off the beaten path, I think you have great chances of making some nice finds.

Thanks for sharing and would love to hear about your results from the next Southern hunt.