Santa Cruz Storm Surge

OK, What are you Santa Cruz, CA. guys finding.  That storm surge is crazy good!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

They are probably waiting for things to calm down.Otherwise it's a surefire way to go see Jesus.☠️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

They are probably waiting for things to calm down.Otherwise it's a surefire way to go see Jesus.☠️

I didn't see Jesus yesterday but I think I heard angels singing. I'm quite a bit south of Santa Cruz in Orange County and the surf was pretty big here as well on west facing beaches - 10ft to 15ft. I didn't do near as well as Tom but I did get another silver T & Co. ring. Surf is supposed to be bigger tomorrow.

IMG_20231228_182518.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good stuff Compass! Just goes to show that there are always work arounds and more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like 1

The nanny state here in Ventura has taken the steps of closing down access to the beach out of an abundance of caution. I'm sure it'll be like it was in 2020 when we were threatened with arrest if we stopped for more than 10 seconds while on the beach. 

The main problem for me during events like this is the amount of debris that gets washed up on shore. Last weeks heavy rains put a ton of broken branches and trees at the ready to be washed out and then back into the beach. Just being able to swing and walk can be an issue due to the volume of sticks and logs. 

The rogue wave that hit Seaward Ave yesterday is a perfect example of why the Darwin awards were created. It's because of these people we can't have nice stuff.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can always count on Tom and Compass to find the good stuff.  If that happened to my beach here in Or. it wouldn't reveal any coins because people here just don't sit on the beach much, too cold.  Now 60+ miles north is a different story.  Thanks for the update. GaryC/Oregon Coast

On the heels of Tom's comments, I hunted Seabright Beach which is just across the way from the main Boardwalk Beach. I arrived a few hours before low tide and could clearly see that the King Tides pushed the surf all the way to the steps that lead to the street (about 200 feet). There was a lot of debris left from the storm surge, but surprisingly, there wasn't much in the way of cuts or scallops. At that point, I might have driven to another beach, but traffic was so bad driving up to Seabright, I decided to give it a shot. There were a lot of targets, but mostly recent clad. I did find some costume jewelry-a ring that I thought might have been gold, but there weren't any markings inside. I'm going to try another beach further south tomorrow and give it a shot. In the meantime, here is a picture of what I found.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1