Santa Cruz Storm Surge

There was a little gold found by myself and others so I wouldn't call it a dead horse. A few beaches were producing targets and at a couple, quite a few targets. I believe I found between 400-500 coins this past week. However, I found quite a few zinc pennies and other lightweight targets and very little lead - usually not a great sign that gold and silver are around. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

This topic sure went mute.So what's up? Did it turn out to be a dead horse or is it on fire and everybody is just being tight lipped?

It was a big nothing-burger in my part of CA (central coast, Monterey Bay).   Most every beach simply got flattened.  That's where the beach is overpowered .   So instead of mother nature picking a parallel and eroding DOWNWARDS, the waves/water simply go up-&-over the dunes, and make a mess and puddles and lagoons inland. And make a mess of parking lots.  And only draw down dry fluffy sand and spread it over the inter-tidal zone.  And not truly take it out.

That's what I saw @ all my area beaches.   A few lone exceptions happened on 12/28 and 12/29 (on the heels of the big event).   And if you knew where to go, there was some straggler pockets .  I got perhaps 150 coins, a few silver coins, and a gold band, by sampling multiple beaches.  And found a few exceptions.   But all in all :  A big nothing burger.   Very disappointing.

And the forecast continues to tease of incoming swells, that drop in strength by the time they reach our area.

Not sure how southern CA did.  But based on Compass' report, sounds like it wasn't an epic event there either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

It was a big nothing-burger in my part of CA (central coast, Monterey Bay).   Most every beach simply got flattened.  That's where the beach is overpowered .   So instead of mother nature picking a parallel and eroding DOWNWARDS, the waves/water simply go up-&-over the dunes, and make a mess and puddles and lagoons inland. And make a mess of parking lots.  And only draw down dry fluffy sand and spread it over the inter-tidal zone.  And not truly take it out.

That's what I saw @ all my area beaches.   A few lone exceptions happened on 12/28 and 12/29 (on the heels of the big event).   And if you knew where to go, there was some straggler pockets .  I got perhaps 150 coins, a few silver coins, and a gold band, by sampling multiple beaches.  And found a few exceptions.   But all in all :  A big nothing burger.   Very disappointing.

And the forecast continues to tease of incoming swells, that drop in strength by the time they reach our area.

Not sure how southern CA did.  But based on Compass' report, sounds like it wasn't an epic event there either.

Good report Tom....The surfers got the lions share of the fun and benifit from the wrath of Mother Nature this time around.

• Like 1

My apology if this has already been posted.  A WWII practice munition was found on a Santa Cruz beach:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/01/02/world-war-ii-practice-bomb-california-beach/72089969007/

The article claims it was "washed up".  Does that make sense?  Specifically where was it before the big winds arrived recently?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

My apology if this has already been posted.  A WWII practice munition was found on a Santa Cruz beach:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/01/02/world-war-ii-practice-bomb-california-beach/72089969007/

The article claims it was "washed up".  Does that make sense?  Specifically where was it before the big winds arrived recently?

If you look closely at the picture, you can see that there's no "erosion" going on.  The tell-tale sign is seaweed sticks sticking half-way up out of the sand.   This shows that sand was coming IN before that picture.  Not OUT.

So I guess that means it was pushed "up".  I have no idea. 

• Like 1