First Hunt Of 2024 - Tale Of (g)old

• The title was changed to First Hunt Of 2024 - Tale Of (g)old

You should go back and sift the dirt where the ring was and see if the stone is there. Bucket of water and course screen should do the trick.

Hopefully it isn't your best find for the year we got a long ways to go.

• Like 3

Fantastic!

So the inscription was clear enough to peg it's owner as one of the former land owners? That is something else. Truly a cool/unusual find. Congrats. That's something I miss about being strictly a beach hunter. I may find my share of gold, but it ain't old!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, kac said:

You should go back and sift the dirt where the ring was and see if the stone is there. Bucket of water and course screen should do the trick.

Hopefully it isn't your best find for the year we got a long ways to go.

Thanks kac,

I did search the dirt I dug out, looks like the stone separated from the ring long ago, the clasp is mangled. Could be anywhere.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Fantastic!

So the inscription was clear enough to peg it's owner as one of the former land owners? That is something else. Truly a cool/unusual find. Congrats. That's something I miss about being strictly a beach hunter. I may find my share of gold, but it ain't old!

Thanks TBB,

It's one of those great things about gold that make our day when we find stuff made of it. Any details are still as they were, even gold coins that have been in the sea for 500 years look great for the most part. 🙂 It is quite the casting! It clearly identifies the remembered individuals.

I've only been relic detecting for 3 or so years, and this is the second gold ring I've found in the middle of a big field. First one was a 14k gold band at least over 150 years old.  With minimal cleaning it looks brand new. The hike yesterday was a little under 4 miles in 5.5 hours. I guess that is similar to some of my beach hunts. 🤔

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks kac,

I did search the dirt I dug out, looks like the stone separated from the ring long ago, the clasp is mangled. Could be anywhere.

Dig more dirt, eventually you may find it 🙂

• Haha 1

Awesome and rare find. Mourning rings were quite expensive, so the relative lost must have meant a lot. They are usually crudely made compared to modern rings, so you know just by looking at it that it must be old!!!  Congrats. Great job.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Awesome and rare find. Mourning rings were quite expensive, so the relative lost must have meant a lot. They are usually crudely made compared to modern rings, so you know just by looking at it that it must be old!!!  Congrats. Great job.

Thanks!

They are one of a kind, I'd like to know the gold content. It looks cast. It weighs 1.7g and is a woman's size, research says they were worn on the smallest finger. Mourning rings fell out of fashion after WW1.

• Like 4

I don't imagine a find like that is too common. Amazing piece of history with information to tie it directly to a specific person. I'm glad the person who found it understands its historical value! Congrats!!! That will be a tough act to follow but have fun trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Compass said:

I don't imagine a find like that is too common. Amazing piece of history with information to tie it directly to a specific person. I'm glad the person who found it understands its historical value! Congrats!!! That will be a tough act to follow but have fun trying.

Thanks Compass,

Each ring like that is one of a kind, with specific information. In the 1700s it had to be made by a craftsman at probably great cost, as SoHn wrote.

Luckily there are many "bucket listers" I have yet to find 😅 This was pretty unexpected.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1