First Hunt Of 2024 - Tale Of (g)old

Just the gold ring is a great find, but the inscription to go with it must have left you in shock!  With a 300 year-old ring, there must be other stuff there older than zincolns…

• Like 3

Great find on the ring and hopefully the ring can be rejoined to the person who actually lost it. You may want to check with the county court house or newspaper and locate some records as to who the peoples names are. That way it can be given to one of their children or grand children.

Best of luck in this new year and stay safe out there.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Just the gold ring is a great find, but the inscription to go with it must have left you in shock!  With a 300 year-old ring, there must be other stuff there older than zincolns…

The ring was a shock many times, first I thought I'd found a gold coin, then I thought it might be a wedding band, then I found it was a lost mourning ring. 🤯 as old as it could be for the most part.

I'm sure there are more things to find, this was pretty much in the middle of the field, a completely random find. I'm sure it was lost while horse riding or through some other activity. 🙂 The Zincoln was found very close to the road that passes by the farm, it was probably thrown from a vehicle.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great find on the ring and hopefully the ring can be rejoined to the person who actually lost it. You may want to check with the county court house or newspaper and locate some records as to who the peoples names are. That way it can be given to one of their children or grand children.

Best of luck in this new year and stay safe out there.

Thanks VL,

Rest assured all measures are underway to see that an object of such significance is properly conserved, and legacy well considered. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Hell Yeah Bob!   Old gold is much more exciting than your run of the mill modern stuff.  Do you have a acid test kit?   I would guess it’s high karat.  

Thanks NC,

I do have a test kit, but I'll leave this one to the experts. 😅 It commands proper and responsible conservation, and it will get it. 🙂

Got a buddy who used to grace this forum that I've found is a reliable source of info and has the uncanny ability to tell gold quality among other things from a mere photo. He speculates that it may be 24k+. It's tiny but weighs almost 2 grams.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Nice work 350... the engravings are what make it special...would be cool if you could trace it back to dead person or persons as well as who might have worn it....

strick 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice work 350... the engravings are what make it special...would be cool if you could trace it back to dead person or persons as well as who might have worn it....

strick 

Thanks strick,

You might have missed the part above where I wrote that the inscriptions tie the ring to the original settlers that established the farm. 🤔 There's a lot of genealogy to wade through, 300 years of it! 😅 I'm pretty sure it was commissioned by a family member who then lost it while out on the farm. Sad all around, really. 😢

• Like 3

Amazing piece of history save.  Most certainly a 22 or 24K as well.

I used to take groups of Americans to England back in the day and one of my all time favorites was a mourning ring. 

Great for you.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Amazing piece of history save.  Most certainly a 22 or 24K as well.

I used to take groups of Americans to England back in the day and one of my all time favorites was a mourning ring. 

Great for you.

Thank you Gerry!

I've only got 3 years into this hobby. I'm in a place that has great potential, many hundreds of acres to search in many very old farms. Purely random spectacular finds seem to be my specialty 😅 but they reinforce my suspicion I'm doing well often enough to keep me out there looking.

I'm beginning to feel much less than a novice now that I'm used to the Deus 2. I appreciate your assessment and encouragement. 🙂

• Like 4