Prospecting For Another Kind Of Gold (long Read) & A Little Success. Part #2

My original post was in Prospecting Page as that's where I usually hang, I'm a gold hunter.  But after much thought, I'm deciding to put part 2 in the appropriate section.  You can find write up part 1 (days 1 - 4) in the Prospecting page. Warning, long detailed read, with a few good pics.

Day #4 As the wife/I stepped out of our room and headed for breakfast, we both noticed change in the weather, and it was already cool and breezy.  I decided to hunt in the deeper waters in the morning before the stronger winds show up, usually afternoons.  After some time of bobbing up and down with the rising/falling waves as they roll in and past me, I tried to keep my spirits up.  Getting only a few targets here and there, I did happen to manage some bling, 2 rings, a bracelet, couple pair of sunglasses and a few coins. 

2MX00o.thumb.jpg.b97741fe16e39ce9fb238a8fdc41cf78.jpg

The one ring is a white gold 10K with a decent weight of 5.5 grams. 

2MX00c.thumb.jpg.1e2b10f34c0b277a0a1e104eeb44420e.jpg

The bracelet is stamped 18K, hopefully real and not one of those fakes?  Once home I ran it through the tumbler and it cleaned up very nice, actually a stunner bracelet. 

2MX00f.thumb.jpg.02c9204ea68980325356fe536eef63e2.jpg

The above pic shows links are all thin and or hollow, so it does not have serious weight, coming in at 19.5 grams.  With the price of gold around $2000 an ounce, I’m also seeing more gold pendants, bracelets and chains that have hollow links to save on weight and cost.  I am still not 100% certain it’s genuine 18K and need to get it tested. 

I’m pleased with my efforts and time for a bite and fill up of water.  While enjoying lunch and viewing across the ocean, my wife commented how rough the seas and shores were getting. 

2MX00k.thumb.jpg.d0bbbb82f38febdaedf7fdf5ea4e5372.jpg

The pic above shows the palm trees blowing sideways and the white caps on the waves.  Water is still mostly clear now.

She’s always worried about me.  As I get older, I also become a little more cautious of my activities.  It’s not necessarily because I’m getting wiser, but more of me worrying about a broken leg, hip, ankle or other long lasting ailment.  I know from personal experience how powerful a wave can be.  I’ve been slammed a few times and once even took my scoop handle to the gut and knocked the wind out of me.  Luckily I didn’t faint as I would have drowned.  On a trip to Bahamas once, my video guy got slammed and blew his knee out.  It finally took surgery for his knee to be right again.  Waves are no joke and need to be respected.

A quick kiss with “good luck wishes” from the wife and I’m heading back into the dunk trying to catch a bright and shiny ring. Well, the weather was really getting right down rough, and I only lasted a couple hours before I decided to call it a day.  It’s not worth getting hurt and ruining the trip for a couple blings to already ad to what I have discovered.  Heck, I’m already quite happy anyway.  Finds for the afternoon only included a few coins, a crusty sterling ring and 2 pair of sunglasses. 

That crusty sterling ring tumbled up really well and it even has an "A" that's gold. 

2MX00h.thumb.jpg.ffec7ba3a26cfe5c9ee9c37447668906.jpg

Sometimes you don't know until you get home and start cleaning up the treasures,

That evening while viewing over my dismal recoveries for the day, I realized…at least I managed a piece of gold (which on some trips is much better than my gold nugget success) for the day.  At the end, it’s just like the small nuggets of the desert, even a thin gold band or charm find, it all adds up.  Sure, I’m not scoring rings like I’ve done in the past, but there’s many factors and sometimes it’s just the times and generational changes.  One of the other elephants in the room, the weather…. has a lot more to do with ones Success than we usually realize.  Remember, the crusty sterling ring with the gold A was not even known at the time.

Day 5.. Time to take a break.  It became a body recover day and mind/soul relaxation.  Indeed, a perfect idea as it was also the roughest winds and surf so far.  I couldn’t have timed it any better. I spent time with the boss at the poolside enjoying a few drinks and occasionally walking over to the beach and seeing stupid people get tossed around in the back of my mind I’m thinking, you're certainly helping me for my next hunt. 

Dinner for the evening was interesting. We wanted to see a show, so did dinner a little early.  The special was Pork of the Pig. 

2MX00b.thumb.jpg.4e163f623c486e574eecb91a1354b94b.jpg

They should have actually called it “pork of the pigs head”.  I had to catch a quick pic for memories/proof.  I so much wanted to put that big ring on the pig's snout for a quick pic, but I had not enough drinks yet and besides, the ring was securely hidden in the room.  It would have been a hoot though to see such a pig/pic.

Day 6 started with strong breeze which was frustrating to my mindset.  Notice the shallow water is much murkier and starting to see a few shells/small rocks being exposed.

2MX00d.thumb.jpg.4110eb77cf9681b73bbd94c8c32c16cf.jpg

As I walked to my intended location, I started doubting myself a little about being able to swing a good day's hunt.  Getting into the rough water where the waves were cresting, I usually desire to get beyond them, so I’m not tossed around as much.  Plus, in the wave breaks and another hurdle is its very time consuming trying to recover the target.  My military mindset says to “march on Marine”, and so I head out. As I’m walking through the rough, half-hardy pushing my detector ahead as I’m working to the deeper less ferocious wave activity, I actually get a low tone signal….

Now what???  I’m thinking… as I realize the importance of low and mid tones, but also the thrashing my body and equipment will take while trying to recover target.  I decide to chase after the signal anyway…. and just as I go to retrieve, a wave slams my backside and thrusts me forward totally out of control of the situation.  Mistakenly my body lands on Manti and I can feel the coil stuck between my legs.  As my 230 pounds is trying to recover with my arm strapped into Manti arm cuff, I feel something give….and I know it’s not well. 

Getting my bearings and my arse with Manti to the beachline and out of the wave crash zone, I see with my eyes what my arm and mind were feeling…what the give was.  SNAP…The coil is dangling by the cord of the end of Manti shaft. 

20231226_100236.thumb.jpg.fdb24e224a05e6d5b4790b5632741046.jpg

In total disgust I realize nothing I can do but head back to the room and get the backup.  In the room I realize my backup is a brand new Manticore and so I really don’t want to use it.  I decide it’s best just to take the lower rod from the backup Manti and use it on my original unit. Besides, I didn’t have the coil cover to the backup unit all zip tied together. 

Side note.  For you water hunters.  I highly recommend you zip tie the coil cover of the Manticore to the coil in 3 or 4 places as they easily fall off.  I actually know a few folks who remove the coil cover all together when water hunting.

2MX00j.thumb.jpg.0eee686e0cf5e3f88155a5825cd846f9.jpg

Now up and running after a half hour delay, I’m determined to get at least 2 or 3 hrs swing time today.  Taking the previous day off, I get this “must do it anyway” in my head.  So off to the beach I go.  This round (I lost round 1) my plan is to immediately walk through the wave break zone and out to the semi calmer waters at depth.  Yes, I realize it’s going to be a tough day but troop on.  Again, if I had not taken the day before off, I’d probably call it done.  In the deeper swells, I swing, bob up, come down and swing, was the pattern I did for the next 15 minutes or so before I’m rewarded with a ring for my efforts.  1st target in the water was a thin sterling ring, followed by a nice 18K yellow gold 6.4 gram band, and surprisingly another 10 feet away was a 2nd yellow gold band of 14K weighing 2.6 grams, followed by a monster ring from those cartoon figures.  Interestingly, that one small area seems to be some kind of trough or settling zone.  Why I think so, well 6 targets and 4 of those were rings, which the other 2 larger heavy coins.

2MX00a.thumb.jpg.4286c9176974b92bfef1ee5a53cf3397.jpg

Day 7, I awoke to the evil winds a howling and realized my day was going to be a tough hunt.  I decided to walk quite aways to attempt at finding a calmer section of water.  On occasion I even take a tax to a couple well known areas that have built in wave break.  My walk paid off and I noticed a resort down the way which had a section of semi calmer waters.  This beach I usually don’t hunt as it seems to produce more coins and trash than some of my favorites, but at least I get to hunt.  As I walk out into the water and look back, down a hundred yards, I see a sand cut and also notice much sand movement has occurred in water as well.  This scenario can be an indicator that I could have a banger kind of day at his location.  I’m excited for what my mind starts racing to expect. 

Well, my finds didn’t exactly overflow with Gold as I ended up with mostly heavier targets and unfortunately only 2 rings.  Luckily one of them being an 18K yellow gold. The other is a crusty sterling ring that’s been in saltwater for quite some time.  Yes, I did manage more coins and trash than usual, but that’s the breaks when leaving my favorite areas for stretches of the beach that are not on my high points list.  I shouldn’t complain at all (I did get gold) but honestly, I was a little disappointed.

2MX00e.thumb.jpg.85af0e456cc0eb35b6a1afd3af2591d2.jpg

Notice above, the coins and items recovered have been in the water for some time.  This is good indicators of some potential great finds, if you are willing to take a chance in the water.  I recommend you have a buddy...just in case.  

Day 8/9 were some of the strongest winds I’ve encountered at Cancun.  Again, my wife mentioned the potential hazards and events (broken shaft) I already experienced. Hinted that I should spend time with her and to be thankful for what I’ve already recovered. Actually, she is correct because some of my finds were really top notch.  Even though I didn’t get a high-end diamond ring on this trip, I managed some brand name designer piece. The beach was red flag both those days and to the point they kept asking folks to please stay out of the surf and to only use the pools.  

I’m not the hard-core Marine I once was when I first started going South some 15 yrs ago, so I took the bosses advice and called the detecting part of my job of this trip, an end.

Just out of curiosity and the morning we left, I walked to the beach to get an idea of what was happening, quite a bit more of sand movement had taken place over the last 2 days of extreme winds and tidal movement.  I was sure there had to be more gold for the taking.  Oh well, there always next time. 

Wrap of the trip finds I brought home.  Missing one sterling ring and one small 14K gold band my wife tipped herself.

2MX00m.thumb.jpg.156630c3ac1b77cc518ae09c48daa6bd.jpg

Total of 25 rings were recovered.  My gold counts. 10 gold rings and one sterling ring with a gold overlay “A” letter. Another gold item is a very thin 10K box chain type gold necklace.  Still need to get the dentures tested as it could have value.

2MX00i.thumb.jpg.6150b9aefa134a842f401a32c6cf3fde.jpg

Weight of the gold, 1.620 ozt, not counting the bracelet.

2MX00l.thumb.jpg.8e95bb66fd0e18389703a5c65d502183.jpg

Not knowing todays trends, brings me to another point. On previous trips, I have had 4 or 5 sunglasses days.  I only know Ray Band as having value.  Well, I was giving some away to the lifeguard one day when someone was telling me how expensive a couple pair were.  I have since learned to look them up on google before giving away for free.  After all, I do give aways most of the coins, most of the cheaper nonprecious metal jewelry and even on occasion a tungsten or sterling ring.  I try to help those at resorts who make my trip more enjoyable.

Update on the dentures and BVLGARI Ring.

20231211_084951.thumb.jpg.817470a5816648311cdd89b4f68af9c3.jpg

20231212_101423.thumb.jpg.e779b2a92eda8b88b3c1dd14e5453aba.jpg

After getting home and in contact with Cooperate, they assured the resort would contact me.  They did.  I emailed a pic of the dentures and also mentioned finding a BUGARLI ring.  They replied back saying that nobody had reported them lost.  I find this quite strange as I have had issues in times past as well.  Honestly, I don’t trust the folks that deal with the lost and found at these resorts.  One particular time, I just left the resort and got to the airport, while in the restroom, I realized my $140 electric razor was sitting in bathroom at the resort I had just checked out of. I immediately called and told them my room #.  They put me on hold for a bit, came back and told me that no such item was found in the room.  Another time at a different resort, I accidentally left my dress shoes for evenings out with the wife, under the bed. When I returned from the trip, I realized they were gone.  Again, $100 shoes and nobody knows anything about them.

Well, if and or when I decide to sell, at least I know I did contact the resort and tried to see if they were that important to someone that they would report them lost.  Not reporting a ring, ok I could see that as some folks don’t even know they lost one.  The dentures though, how could someone finish a trip without them?  I’m most certain they would have reported, unless so embarrassed, they decided not to.

That's the end of my 2023 season hunt in the Caribbean.  Manti never leaked and that's great news.  So far, I'm pleased with its results but still feel a CTX 3030 has better depth on man's gold wedding bands.   To be fair, I do not have even close to the number of hours in saltwater with a Manticore as I did the 3030.  I know, it takes time and tuning to get dialed in and eventually that will come, I hope.

2MX00n.jpg

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

still feel a CTX 3030 has better depth on man's gold

Hard for me to forget 12.01 to 12.25 lottery numbers....

Still a sniper rifle today with the right conditions.

Too bad it feels less deep in detection than a D2 even with 9" coil...

I keep it as a relic and it will remain the instrument I have had the most confidence with.

Thanks for sharing the trip with us and I really liked the beach picture. Didn't see any rocks on the beach so I guess they were really small.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

15 hours ago, Skull diver said:

Hard for me to forget 12.01 to 12.25 lottery numbers....

Still a sniper rifle today with the right conditions.

Too bad it feels less deep in detection than a D2 even with 9" coil...

I keep it as a relic and it will remain the instrument I have had the most confidence with.

Yes, the golden #'s on the CTX.  My wife has a gorgeous triple diamond ring set in platinum that was handed down to her mother and when mom passed, handed down to my wife.  When the 3030 1st came out, I tested about 30 gold rings and was stunned to see 12.01.  Another interesting piece many folks don't know about.  A beautiful gold ring that's band has broken.  Good luck hearing those to most of you.

I imagine, as I start to get a dozen Caribbean trips under my belt with the Manti, and trying different Settings, I'm hoping to be more pleased with the depth when compared to my old reliable. 

Please anyone reading this, don't think the Manticore is not a good saltwater detector because that is absolutely false.  I'm saying this with confidence, it's my #1 go to saltwater detector overall.

- Easier to pack and I actually carry the complete detector on the plane with me. Can't do so with a CTX

- Swings in the water with least friction and after a few days, I can still hunt. CTX is like swinging a paddle.

- Much better waterproofing on Manti.  I had 3030's leaking the 1st trip we did.  Minelab said "you're doing something wrong".  Wonder why they finally changed the back seals and different O-ring?

- Better on small jewelry such as gold ankle/wrist bracelets, necklaces, earrings, belly studs.

- Faster Processor for when detecting around piers and areas in the water with higher iron trash.

- Price point is better and peace of mind when traveling with two Manti's vs two 3030's.

Side Note for land - Way better on gold nuggets than a CTX...I mean way better.

Yes, like you, I too will keep that long range sniper rifle for those few occasions.

8 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Didn't see any rocks on the beach so I guess they were really small.

I don't think your eyes were focused on the beach Valens.🤣

Quit looking at the pics from that fancy watch you got for Christmas that allows you to read emails.🤣

2MX00d.jpg

13 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Quit looking at the pics from that fancy watch you got for Christmas

What are you talking about, I didn't get anything for Christmas. However you are more than welcome to post more of those beach pictures.

Busted !  

I thought the same thing Gerry ! 

It's OK VL . You're still young and have priorities .😏 

Nothin' wrong with that. But you DID miss the rock's tale.

I saw rocks AND boulders not to mention some great jewelry. Interesting and fun read!

Heckuva trip, amigo…WTG!