Gold Seeker

I found this an interesting read: “Gold Seeker”, a gold rush journal by Jean-Nicolas Perlot. If nothing else the book provides some insight into the primitive conditions these California prospectors found themselves in the 1850’s. In addition to the mining techniques employed there are a few clues regarding what to look for while out detecting old mining sites. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great book and account of a Belgium French man who traveled from France to California after coming ashore in Monterey. From there he joined a company of men and shares  resources to trek by foot from Monterey to Mariposa. Great read especially for me as I live in Mariposa where he prospered and mined gold. His accounts of the founding of Yosemite, the tribes of the region and general conditions of that time. One of my top 3 books I have read about the gold rush. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 4:44 PM, lostmypassworddude said:

trek by foot from Monterey to Mariposa

After the read you see the country side in a different light, especially the branches of the Merced. They were not in anyway prepared, Paint Your Wagon wasn’t even close to their reality.