Coil Charging Problem - XP Deus 1 HF 10x5"

I haven't used my XP Deus in about 3 months, I went to fire it up and the 10x5" HF coil wouldn't connect, so I tested my other coils that have been sitting with it, and they all worked fine.  I plugged the coils into their charger and all coils charge with the light flashing often and then a green light comes on, the 10x5" just flashes white about once a minute and doesn't seem to do anything, after a couple of hours I unplugged it and tried to use it and the detector doesn't see it.

Has my coil died? Need a new battery? 

I've not used my Deus much, but when I go to I get problems like this, I hate wireless coils.

I'm not using the stupid charging clip, although I tried it and it made no difference, I went with directly plugging the coil into USB although it's charging the other coils fine.

• Like 1

HF coil batteries are in the lower shaft. If you have a dead HF coil battery, they are not expensive and they are ridiculously easy to replace.

So, you didn't try the charging clip on the 10x5" HF coil? If you do try it make sure you get a solid white light on the coil to show it's charging.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

HF coil batteries are in the lower shaft. If you have a dead HF coil battery, they are not expensive and they are ridiculously easy to replace.

So, you didn't try the charging clip on the 10x5" HF coil? If you do try it make sure you get a solid white light on the coil to show it's charging.

yep, tried the charging clip and the charge cable, all I get is a white blink from the coil about every 40 seconds.  It does this regardless of if the coil is plugged into the charger or not.  The detector won't see it, tried deleting and reentering the serial number.

• Like 1

It sounds like the coil is still alive if you are getting the heartbeat light.  So regardless of whether you can get the coil charge light to glow steady, I would think you should be able to connect the coil.  I would delete the coil from your remote, unplug the shaft battery from the HF coil wait a minute and then plug the battery back in and then try to re-connect as if you are adding a new coil.  That may also reset the coil such that it sees the charger again.

Not sure what you mean by plugging the coil in directly to USB.  Did you homebrew a connector or something?

If you are still having issues after unplugging and reconnecting the HF coil external battery, I would get a replacement battery.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It sounds like the coil is still alive if you are getting the heartbeat light.  So regardless of whether you can get the coil charge light to glow steady, I would think you should be able to connect the coil.  I would delete the coil from your remote, unplug the shaft battery from the HF coil wait a minute and then plug the battery back in and then try to re-connect as if you are adding a new coil.  That may also reset the coil such that it sees the charger again.

Not sure what you mean by plugging the coil in directly to USB.  Did you homebrew a connector or something?

Thanks Chase, you're a genius, I didn't even know the battery was there to disconnect, I disconnected it, lost the cord up into the shaft and turned the detector on after waiting about 20 seconds and plugging the cable back in and off she goes, works again.

It looks like the coil locked up and needed a reboot.

At least I know how easy the battery is to change now, I had to tie some string onto the coil cable and drop it down the shaft to pull the cable back through, easy enough to do though.

All fixed! 

By plugging direct in I mean pulling the little black flap away and just plugging in the USB cable.  It's how I always charge, I hate that stupid clip system that never works properly and falls off.

coilcharging.thumb.jpg.5bfbd04305627069f5ba9d74fac721c3.jpg

Still not seeing the charger I think, perhaps it is, i'll leave it a few hours and see if it charges.  The lights just doing the heartbeat still on charge.  Correction, the lights flashing about every 5 to 10 seconds now, not 40 seconds like before.

• Like 3

It looks like my battery is dead, even after hours of charging the Deus flashes it up as not having any charge if I'm reading the screen right, the pod is full, the coil is empty. 

Nowhere in NZ sells the batteries so I'm all out of luck, I'll have to try and import one.  If only it had a corded coil 🙂

Well unlucky for me, it's the coil not the battery, I swapped a full working battery from another coil into it and it reports it as flat too and won't attempt to charge, always reports every battery that goes into it as flat.  Faulty coil by the looks of it, a pain as it's the only coil I would ever use on it, I have 4 and the one I want dies!  It just died sitting there in the cupboard too.

That's enough of XP For me, not a fan of this wireless coil stuff.

Ok, fixed it, the problem was the little pin holes where the battery connects, they must have been dirty somehow, the coils never been unplugged from the battery as you could tell as I had no idea you could ever do that 🙂

I cleaned them with CRC electronics contact cleaner out of desperation and boom! Light locks on solid, coil charging.

IMG_1503.thumb.jpg.d911ec70dd8641aba707dc351291935f.jpg

IMG_1504.thumb.jpg.6f6c110243f5d3e0b874a5af38300121.jpg

So, all 3 coils are now charigng using USB, and once they're finished charging, I'll charge the 4th coil, although I've never used it.

I really think this wireless stuff for coils is more trouble than it's worth, I understand some love it, but it's not for me.

• Like 1

Years of trouble with the oval coil..the batteries been changed and it won’t show the fully charged flash ,butit seems to be fully charged ,so I have given up on it and just use it.bad design somewhere inthe coil

Simon, I have the same problem with the 5.5x9.5" HF coil as you ... after I went to Spain, I could no longer connect it to the ORX RC unit...

I tried to disconnect the battery of the coil "and measure its voltage", the battery voltage was fine,,, I even disassembled the Rc unit..  and disconnected the connector from the battery of the *RC unit. ORX...but I still  no managed to connect the coil from the RC ORX unit..