Coil Charging Problem - XP Deus 1 HF 10x5"

36 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

Simon, I have the same problem with the 5.5x9.5" HF coil as you ... after I went to Spain, I could no longer connect it to the ORX RC unit...

I tried to disconnect the battery of the coil "and measure its voltage", the battery voltage was fine,,, I even disassembled the Rc unit..  and disconnected the connector from the battery of the *RC unit. ORX...but I still  no managed to connect the coil from the RC ORX unit..

Did you try connect it to the controller while it's connected to the charger and charging, that may help.

My final solution was I disconnected the battery, waited 20 seconds, connected the battery and the coil did some unusual flashing and bam! it connected to the Controller but still wouldn't charge and just did the 30 second heartbeat flash.  Then after that all I had to do was resolve the charging problem, which was the female pins on the coil cable it seems, as that's the last thing I did was spray clean them then it all started working properly and charging up with the light locked on instead of flashing.  Now the coil is showing it's charged up and working so it's all resolved for now, hopefully.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I really think this wireless stuff for coils is more trouble than it's worth, I understand some love it, but it's not for me.

Actually I am not a great fan of the HF lower shaft integrated battery system . The connector is tiny and fragile , the small cable is fragile too and exposed to shocks at the coil connection level .

I wonder who had the idea at XP to introduce a wired technology into a wireless system , not a good idea to my opinion ... 🙂  

I largely prefer the other XP coils where the battery is "simply" integrated into the coil . No cable , which means no cable or connector issues ... Simpler is always better .  They are rock solid and more reliable than the HF coils, even if I have never had an issue with the HFs ..

• Like 1

The position of the external battery in the HF coils is not a bad idea... because you can use, for example, a battery with a larger capacity in the future, but also the aspect of easy replacement of the old battery for a new one.. at any time and that's what I really like about HF coils..
I even thought that XP would go in this direction right at the multi-frequency detector...

but let's face it... such coil malfunctions don't happen every day,
I'm rather reacting to the fact that I'm far from home... and I can't compare this coil on my second ORX detector...:wink:

SAVE_20230217_200714 (3).jpg

• Like 2

Charged the coil to full capacity, all working as normal, I'll drain it down today and see if it charges again with no messing around and if so, it appears the problem is resolved. 

Two issues - Coil had locked up and needed a reboot preventing it connecting to the detector. 🙂  Charging pins not connecting properly preventing it charging or even staying working as the detector always reported an empty battery even when a full one was installed onto the coil, the coil was getting enough power through the bad connection to get a heartbeat, but not enough to charge or run the detector, even once the connection to the detector was working again the coil will drop connection after a few seconds unless the electronic cleaning spray did its thing.

They're a terrible flimsy design, such little pins to give contact, odd they were dirty as they've never been disconnected and the detector barely used, I can't help but think in this case it would have been easy for someone to think it's a proper fault and write off the coil outside of warranty or send it away for repair under warranty, thereby wasting time and money.

---- UPDATE:   Full days testing, I partially discharged the battery and charged it up again, partially discharged and charged again and all is well in XP land.  How and why there was a connection problem with the Deus battery I don't know, but it's tiny pins don't take much to cause a bad contact.

If you ever disconnect your battery on one of these coils, save yourself some time and peg the cable in place, or it gets sucked back into the shaft and then you'll need to be creative with some string to get it back through.

Deuspowercable.thumb.jpg.a0cc00345f5ff525f5e3b8268f05bc1c.jpg