Rcdigs Mount First Use On The Beach

I took my Deus II, outfitted with the RCdigs mount, to the beach for its first use in the real world and it definitely lived up to my expectations!

The pragmatic side of me says that the secure attachment to Steve Goss’ shaft is the best part of the mount…and that’s true.  Its primary purpose is to ensure that the controller does not and cannot fall off the shaft.  To that end, it’s a great design and fulfills its primary mission perfectly.  The controller will never become accidentally detached from or knocked off the shaft…period.

However, my personal favorite part of the digs mount is the tilted angel of view.  I love the fact that when I look down at the screen, it’s looking directly back at me!  I can easily see both the large and small TID numbers without turning or tilting the screen as I did with the factory mount... and all the buttons are in easy reach.   Perfect.

image.jpeg.a1df1474841947e6b47db3029c355849.jpeg

As for after operations clean up and maintenance, removal of the controller from the mount is quick and easy.  Just unscrew the two thumb screws which attaches the top of the mount to its base and the controller comes right out.   If you want to remove the base from the shaft, just unscrew it…Slick.  One suggestion, I applied anti-seize compound to the threaded area to prevent galvanic corrosion between the stainless steel screws and the brass inserts.

Yes, it does add a little bulk but it’s insignificant compared to the obvious benefits the RCdigs mount provides.   

I’m getting a second one for my other Deus II that I use for water hunting with antenna easily installed in the digs mount as soon as they’re available.  Both will be permanent fixtures.

Again, great job Steve and Ryan….

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Dan,

Thanks for your thoughts, now that you've had a chance to use it!  I'm really glad to hear you are pleased!

Thanks, Dan!

Steve

P.S. One note -- your anti-seize idea is a great one, for any current or older mount.  That said, what small potential for galvanic corrosion (between the two dissimilar metals) that you are mitigating with anti-seize, will be eliminated shortly, with our changeover to marine-grade stainless steel for BOTH the screw AND the threaded insert.

• Like 2

Thanks Colonel!

Steve

• Like 1

Nice report, Colonel!

I like that the mount makes me remove the RC, I used to fiddle around with inserting the charging plug in situ, it ended up being a problem. 

I'm also excited about the marine grade stainless, I'm probably going to dunk my D2 quite a bit this year.

Great job Steve! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, my friend!

Steve

Just as a sidenote:

On my Equinox the pod is attached to the shaft with stainless screws and the pod itself is equipped with brass inserts.
I haven't seen any visable corrosion there, yet. On the other hand, the nickel plating of the headphone connector doesn't like saltwater all that much. I once didn't rinse it of and it got green quite quick.

• Like 1

SInclair,

In looking into this fairly extensively, recently (with F350), it appears that, from a chemistry perspective, the pairing of brass and stainless is not the "worst case scenario," in terms of excessive galvanic corrosion issues.  Different combinations of metals result in different degrees corrosion potential -- some pairings worse than others -- and it has to do with chemistry, and the periodic table, and "how far apart" the metals are from a periodic table perspective...as it relates to "outer shell electrons," and ions, and a bunch of stuff I haven't thought too much about since college.  But, point being, stainless and brass apparently aren't as bad, in that regard, as some others are.  That validates your observations.

Thanks!

Stege

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 3:16 PM, ColonelDan said:

I’m getting a second one for my other Deus II that I use for water hunting with antenna easily installed in the digs mount as soon as they’re available. 

Dan - Is this a special configuration regarding the "easily installed" antenna or are you just saying by having a second dedicated water rig, the antenna just stays installed so it's easier to deal with.

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Dan - Is this a special configuration regarding the "easily installed" antenna or are you just saying by having a second dedicated water rig, the antenna just stays installed so it's easier to deal with.

Chase,  yes on both.   It’s easily installed and I’m leaving the antenna in place on my second D2. 👍🏻