Looking For Information On Metal Detecting In Italy

I will be working in Italy for a month and would love the chance to find some really old stuff there. I have no idea how to find information on where I can go and what the rules are. Does anyone have experience detecting there or anywhere in Europe?

3 hours ago, soreshoulder said:

I will be working in Italy for a month and would love the chance to find some really old stuff there. I have no idea how to find information on where I can go and what the rules are. Does anyone have experience detecting there or anywhere in Europe?

Google "metal detecting Italy" for more, but this is what one site that deals with detecting laws has to say:

Italy. All things of archeological interest, in and out of the ground, are the property of the state. Metal detecting by private individuals is allowed in some regions. A finder of valuable objects receives a reward. There are regions where the use of metal detectors is prohibited – e.g., Valle d’Aosta, Calabria, Lazio, Tuscany, Sicily.

And one more thing… According to local detectorists, beach search in Italy is controlled by mafia and the police. There is division into areas which are under control of different clans. Mafia treasure hunters ))

Note: Here’s a comment from Italian detectorist sergio. “Metal detecting is allowed on public beaches. But there is nothing to dig there. Private beaches are watched over by guards – it’s possible to make a deal with some of them, but some will be against, and it’s better not to argue with them. The police, carabinieri and mafia – this is a mere fable. The competition among detectorists is rather high… You can also hunt in the regions where it’s prohibited to, but not in the areas of archaeological importance – on private land and in the mountains. But there is nothing to search for in the mountains, too, as everywhere there are shot and shells the hunters left behind”.

Always respect the laws and lore of foreign countries, you will find many that take them very seriously. Don't be "that American".

• Like 1

Good question ! 

Doing your homework in advance is good ju ju. 

Things can get very sticky for those unprepared .😵😩

(We might be related  ? My shoulder is sore too ! )

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 3:19 PM, soreshoulder said:

Its very difficult to find specific information. In the US I like to do my research before venturing out. I wouldn't want to risk getting into any kind of trouble!

Curious, when you say "very difficult ...", were you expecting to find some law or rule that says "metal detecting allowed here" ?  Ie.: An express ALLOWANCE ?    Why isn't "silent on the subject" (ie.: no law forbidding) good enough ?  In other words, if you're not finding laws that forbid, then presto :  Not forbidden.  Right ?

Naturally, like anywhere in the world, avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments.   But to answer your question about Italy , here's one thread I saw years ago on an md'ing forum :

Some dude from England was getting ready to vacation to a Beach resort town in Italy.  He looked into the laws, and couldn't find anything specific (other than boiler plate cultural heritage stuff).  But nothing that dealt with modern coins/jewelry , on modern beaches.  So he inquired to the hotel when he arrived.  The hotel person shrugged their shoulders and said they'd seen others in the past on the beach, so it must be ok.

Therefore the fellow spent several days of his vacation md'ing.   And during that time, even saw another md'r or two.  No problem whatsoever.  Once back in England, he posted his show & tell of several gold rings, various coins, etc...  And the post even said "In Italy".  After the usual "atteboys", a few others posted stuff like "I thought it was illegal in Italy ?".   And would post links of "dire sounding verbiage".   So the thread turned into a giant debate on whether or not it's allowed in Italy.

Here's the psychology that is no doubt going on :  It would be NO DIFFERENT than if someone in Europe were getting ready to vacation in the USA :  They might find "dire sounding language" in ARPA.   Or find some dire-sounding Lost & found laws.   Or read some link of an md'r being "scrammed".  Heck, they could ask a purist archie :  "Can I ?", and be read the riot act in return (go figure, purist archies hate md'rs).   BUT THE REALITY IS :  You can md here to your hearts content.  And all such dire stuff is for obvious historic landmarks, or very particular singular off-limits spots.  

But here's what has no doubt happened in little countries where md'ing is a new phenomenon :  Is skittish people (bless their little hearts) have spent years swatting hornets nests asking "Can I ?" questions.   Their "pressing question" gets bandied about, desk-to-desk, till someone gives it the "easy answer".  Now did anyone really ever care less ??  OF COURSE  NOT !  And now, presto: Another law or rule or "no" or policy is born.  Meanwhile, the md'rs who have always been there, and never bothered, are left scratching their heads saying : "Since when ?".    Do you see the self-fulfilling vicious circle going on ?  It's as if we md'rs can be our own worst enemies.

• Like 3

On 2/9/2024 at 6:31 AM, rvpopeye said:

Good question ! 

Doing your homework in advance is good ju ju. 

Things can get very sticky for those unprepared .😵😩

(We might be related  ? My shoulder is sore too ! )

I might just end up asking around when I get there.

Could try "hanging" for the shoulder pain:

• Thanks 1