Minelab H1-24 Results

Well, judging from their wording on their results for H1, I don't think those hanging out for a new GPZ have much to look forward to, nor those thinking that Minelab has something up their sleeve to target the Algoforce.  You can read the full report here.

"RoW revenues continue to remain remarkably resilient, despite a challenging macroeconomic environment. Newly released products of Manticore, Equinox 700|900 and X-Terra Pro have contributed to the growth in first half FY24 revenues. However, as the first anniversary release date of these products passes, revenues are expected to normalise during the second half."

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Minelab H1-24 Results

Yeah, pretty much sounds like cruise control for 2024 so you have to figure something new for new year. I can't imagine them skipping two years in a row.

I love this. It tells you how we all rate compared to Africa....

"Our metal detection business delivered a strong first half with each of Minelab’s businesses, RoW*, Minelab Africa and Countermine delivering increased revenues, collectively up 49% on the pcp.”

* Rest of World, excluding Africa

I am a RoW! I guess we can all change out Location in our profile to RoW. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

In the call an analyst asked about new products.  Management said they are "heavily" focused on the next generation of "probably" the gold products.   They said they need a refresh in gold and that we will "probably" see those in FY2025 (July 2024 to June 2025). 

There is a commercial I keep hearing that says "probably" is the most disappointing word in the English language.  I don't know if it was management's intent to sow doubt, but they did not instill confidence.

They go on to talk about technology spend and that a lot of the segment spend is on development of e-commerce and B2C. Said another way, they have been spending research and development dollars on market share and not new products. 

I imagine we will see something gold related next spring, but I also imagine it will be very incremental and not revolutionary. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

• Thanks 1

We may see a Gold Monster 2000 with Multi frequency in 2025, it's well proven now that multi frequency is beneficial for this task, and in fact many just buy an Equinox for prospecting instead of the GM.  If they want to make a quick buck with minimal investment that's something they would do.

Slip in even higher frequencies like competitors' products in the 60 to 80khz somewhere, great for marketing.  

That's my bet for the next and only gold machine coming out in the near future, unless they tackle the SDC in some way putting it into a lighter more standard detector body for a cheap price to help with new competitors products, that would take some development work through and may not be ready in time for early next year.

• Like 1

Phrunt 

The SDC 2300 controls could fit on a regular shaft and still pop up like it does now . The housing could lay flat under the arm with the on and sensitive control in line instead one on top of the other .The headphone Jack could be next to the battery compartment. The shaft would have to have a knuckle at the top and at the coil if you still want to make it compact like a is now. At the coil you would want it so you could put any coil you want on it . The coil cable would have to run on the outside of the shaft.

It may not be waterproof anymore but you can still hunt in a stream for gold nuggets without getting the whole thing wet .

Just something to think about.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Yes, but it's still a 2.3 kg detector, over 81 ounces if that's your flavour.

They would need to modernize the electronics and shrink them down to fit into a smaller housing, this would be the process that takes time, not making some sort of Frankstein SDC2300 looking more like a normal detector.

The bars been set now for the Algo, if they can put an SDC2300 into its build design that would be a good seller if priced right.

• Like 1

I know it will be also directed at communications and the other areas of their business but $117 million of product development is encouraging. 

image.png.0d54c5a21d2811563a6f8c68588753b0.png

They are spending, but they said Minelab spend is largely "consistent" and I would read that to be flat. Much of the overall increase is coming from M&A, which is largely comms. 

It would be great to see a modernized SDC. The could also put the MF5 in a new form factor at the same time. 

I'm one of the last stragglers hoping for a new CTX, I'd prefer that than a new GPZ with its hyper inflated pricing and my guess is very limited performance increases over the existing unit, mostly ergonomics and coil option changes.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2024 at 7:35 AM, Lynk said:

In the call an analyst asked about new products.  Management said they are "heavily" focused on the next generation of "probably" the gold products.   They said they need a refresh in gold and that we will "probably" see those in FY2025 (July 2024 to June 2025). 

We've seen this play before. New product announcement near end of this year, going into winter here but heading into spring elsewhere. In time for dealers to take orders going into the holiday season, but no machines probably shipping until early 2025.