Electrolysis Anyone?

I picked up this Civil War ID Tag similar to one I dug back in the day. Reverse I believe can be saved to find all the important information needed. Has a partial name up top. Warm water, backing powder is my plan. What say you. George

8a0n5etu.png

xgs346jf.png

• Like 4

What is it made from, Brass?  If so, I would not unless as a very last resort and then at a very low wattage with the good side coated heavily in Vaseline.

A composite cleaning pencil would be my first choice.

If in doubt don't clean the item,have seen many a beautiful and in some cases very valuable coins/items rendered worthless because they have been cleaned...If it is say a really heavily corroded roman grot as we call them and you cannot see any detail what so ever then go for it,of course this is really only applicable to UK silver/bronze coinage.

But for the most part i would advice stay away from electrolysis,chemicals or any form of abrasive cleaner,they may look lovely and clean but collectors much prefer them exactly as they are with the original patination on the item.

Of course the item is yours and you can basically do what you like with it,but after seeing a very valuable coin over cleaned and worthless it was such a shame but the guy had no idea,so hence my comment 'if in doubt dont'.

• Like 2

The only things I’ll hook up to voltage are iron objects...if your just talking about doing it with out voltage then you may be ok but I’d keep a close eye on it...I ruined a nice Barber Half when I first was experimenting with electrolysis...

strick

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JCR said:

What is it made from, Brass?  If so, I would not unless as a very last resort and then at a very low wattage with the good side coated heavily in Vaseline.

A composite cleaning pencil would be my first choice.

I have a set.Thanks.

• Like 1