Manticore Thermal Signature

5 hours ago, Tony said:

The hot-spot is the battery ?

yes.. took the picture after I smoke a cigarette maybe after 2 minutes? don't know if the heat from my hand gripped on the handle dissipated after 2 minutes though.. anyway its a normal operating temperature .. not even hot even though its shows the highest hotspot..

Which flir camera do you have? I used to have a t360 used it in my practice handy little tool but I found its use limited for what I do and eventually sold it...The battery is in that grip and I don't know if it generates much heat..but your hand certainly will so lets experiment....turn on the machine set it down and walk away for 15-20 min and then re take the same pic and show us what you found...I'm sure some of that heat is from the electronics as you can see it travels up into the pod...thanks for posting something different ! 

strick 

• Like 2

Isn't the arm cuff indicating a bit of T above background?  No electronics there, and not much thermal mass, either.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, strick said:

Which flir camera do you have?

I usw this one replacing my Cat s60. https://www.amazon.com/Ulefone-Power-Armor-18T-Ultra/dp/B0CMHRCWGV?th=1 . It uses flir Lepton 3.5 with 160x120 resolutions.

10 hours ago, strick said:

turn on the machine set it down and walk away for 15-20 min and then re take the same pic

Some pictures of Mantiocre turn on idle on AT High Conductor after 30 minutes.. looks like the battery doesn't generate heat.

Overview.thumb.jpg.58321189ceef9abcebe35a7ef9aa4a21.jpg

Front.thumb.jpg.e3128326ed3d1acf214d96f9029d0ed2.jpg

ControlPod.thumb.jpg.5207a3739e893be2303de85f1022f7b1.jpg

Coil.thumb.jpg.f9181837fff4485b67a0bb4d9fdb8784.jpg

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Isn't the arm cuff indicating a bit of T above background?  No electronics there, and not much thermal mass, either.

I guess the heat at the handle and the arm cuff comes from my hand and arm accumulated from 3 hours hunt before I took the earlier pictures

• Like 5

Electrical flow does dissipate in heat, so whenever the detector is turned on and then used, it results in heat.  The battery alone gets slightly warmer when being charged or discharged, but both any resistive circuitry in the control panel and the coil create heat.  Even the LEDs for the light, and the screen create heat.  However, these are minuscule amounts of heat that take hours to discharge the battery.

By the way, I don't know anything about detectors, just about electronics (I worked as an aircraft electrician years ago).  The amount of heat from a person standing in front (at a distance) from an aircraft's thermal camera will amaze you.  A lot of the heat is lost from the head and crutch area, and if you pass gas, the plum rises like from a steam engine.  Sorry about that, folks.  I could not help but joke about it 🙂

• Like 3

A recent family photo. Maybe my hands were cold, as they look like they would cool down a detector handle.

heatphoto.thumb.jpg.c1519f0d27ed2ea061f34f0c0558a13b.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

A recent family photo. Maybe my hands were cold, as they look like they'd cooled down a detector handle.  

Maybe it's the heat dissipation from holding on to all the pinpointers in your front pocket 😁