GPX 4500 For Civil War Relics

I have permission to hunt a property that is a couple miles away from Pea Ridge Battlefield. I have been finding some keepers with my Deus 1, with the 9 " and 11" X35 coils.

I recently picked up a GPX 4500 in great shape, with a 12x8 platypus DD coil, 2 11" mono coils, a 11"DD, a 15"x12" mono, and a 18" mono. I going to see what I can find.

I have used the SD2000 up to the GP Extreme, but not the GPX 4500. My question to the members is, how good is the iron reject, can it knock out iron the size of 16d rusty nails. 

Tom,that is a fair detecting package that you have just purchased with all the coils it should do very well for you....like yourself i have also just recently purchased a GPX4500 and all ready had a fair few MONO coils that i used on my TDI Pro.

Regarding the iron rejection although i own said machine have not really been out with it due to the constant rain here in the UK,but from my initial test on the IR it does seem to work reasonably well,i have a 18'' Detech Concentric coil coming with acts both like a DD and Mono but from what i can gather it has even better IR with this coil over DD coils,i cannot confirm this as it has not arrived yet but will give some feedback when it arrives.

I will be using my GPX for a very similar type of detect which is Artefact/Hoard hunting on deep pasture and also deep ploughed ground as well,which most VLF machines wont reach.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

I've used the GPX series of detectors for relics for at least 6 years now. Iron reject works to about 6" depending on coil size and yes it will knock out a 16d nail at that depth. I currently used the 6000 and really don't miss iron reject thought. Most of the stuff I'm after is deeper that 6" so iron reject is kind of pointless for me.

The milder the soil the better iron reject works, especially for depth.

The soil on this property is pretty mild, and very little modern debris. The Deus 1, is doing pretty good. I am going to go over a section with the Deus 11" X35 coil, then go over the same area with the 4500 and 11" DD coil.

Next week is going to be in 60's and 70's, so perfect weather for detecting. I think I am going to get a metal detector harness so I won't wear out my arm. One thing for sure, the older I get, the better I was. At 66 years old, I don't swing like I use to.

Tom,out of those coils that you got with the GPX which one/s do you plan on using on that new permission that you have got ??

Rick, I am going to start with the 12" X 8" platypus DD coil until I get use to the 4500, then switch to the 11" mono coil to see what I find. 

When it comes to Minelabs, I have used the SD2000, SD2100, SD2200, and GP3500, but those were used to hunt gold nuggets in Arizona.

I have been playing with the GPX 4500, with the 11" mono coil and I am really impressed. I think the biggest coil that I am going to use is the 15" X 12" mono. 

My favorite coil for relic hunting on the 4500 is the 14" Coiltek DD, stock 11 DD is the my favorite.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

If you can find a used 15" DeTech Spiral DD coil, snatch it up.  That was my favorite coil for the GPX.  

Daniel,that is on my shopping list and probably will be ordering one this weekend,the weight is a slight concern though,but as i will be using a harness i dont think it will be a major worry as such.