Any Peeps On Here Who Regret Purchasing The Mighty Manticore?

I am seriously considering buying a Minelab Manticore and wondered whether there are any peeps on here who regret purchasing the aforesaid metal detector?  Most especially any specific reasons why they regretted their purchase?

I’m based in the UK and only detect arable land and pasture fields.  Personally, I don’t think I’d find much use for the fancy 2D screen, much preferring to rely on the audio tones instead.  Any feedback would be much appreciated!     

2 hours ago, Guinea1 said:

I am seriously considering buying a Minelab Manticore and wondered whether there are any peeps on here who regret purchasing the aforesaid metal detector?  Most especially any specific reasons why they regretted their purchase? 

I’m based in the UK and only detect arable land and pasture fields.  Personally, I don’t think I’d find much use for the fancy 2D screen, much preferring to rely on the audio tones instead.  Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Have you decided against the D2 ? The Manti seems to be least obviously ahead of the D2 when it comes to busy European soils.

• Confused 1

Have never used or even been tempted to buy a Manticore,i still basically use my Nox,T2 and Deus1 for deep ploughed or pasture if i want depth then i use my Nexus or a Pulse.

The Manticore does seem to have a large gathering these days but as yet it still has not grabbed my attention enough to part with my Wonga 🙂

I don't regret buying my manticore, I do like it, I like the size of the screen and the menu's are easy to navigate, and its helped find lots of stuff at places I've already been to with my nox.  I really wish it had a mineralization meter, but who knows if they'll ever release an update with it. 

One thing that did bother me a lot is I've had the manticore since Dec 2022 and I was only just able to get the 8 inch coil last week because they barely make enough of them for the amount of people that wanted them.  Over a year since the detector was released, that's ridiculous!  But you probably won't have this issue now.

Since you're in the UK the Deus 2 might be a better pick, XP seems to make machines that excel detecting in European type conditions.  Compared to the manticore the deus 2 is cheaper, seems just as deep, has more features and customization's and also just look at how long XP provided updates for the original Deus so XP will probably provide updates probably just as long.

• Like 1

No regrets at all. The Manticore is a great machine and I have gelled with it which is what makes a detector for me. I had the D2 and it's a great machine as well but I just never connected with it. Fun to date but not a long time relationship.

Best of luck to you

• Like 3

I’d like to extend a big thank you to all the peeps who’ve taken the time and effort to post a reply to my query regarding the Manticore – very much appreciated! 

I’ve had a D2 since it was first released.  So, I suppose it’s only natural to assume the grass is always greener or the other side of the fence, even if it’s a ploughed field! 

Thank you for the link, King Cnut – awesome amazing finds!  Those pictures speak volumes, in fact much louder than watching any YouTube video!

RickUK – I’ve always fancied a Nexus machine, as I’ve had lots of experience using manual ground balance detectors before.  I remember reading a post on Gary Blackwells website – the famous XP guru guy.  About how he first encountered the proprietor of Nexus detectors on a group dig, where he was using a prototype detector which had plywood coils.  Apparently, he got a signal no one else could locate with their detectors.  They all thought it must be really deep Iron, but Georgi kept insisting on his machine it was definitely a non-ferrous target.  He then dug a really deep hole and uncovered a non-ferrous target, leaving all those watching literally speechless!       

This forum is a literal goldmine for in-depth posts, which contain real nuggets of information regarding the topic of metal detecting!    

• Like 4

I had a Manticore for a while and liked it a lot. Great performance, well thought out menu and excellent screen. I just found that the Deus 2 was better suited for my style of hunting. Mainly due to weight and audio, the latter of which being personal preference. If the Deus 2 didn't exist, I'd be perfectly happy with the Manticore as my primary detector. It's a great machine IMHO.

• Like 4

I regret not having bought Manticore EARLIER. On the beach, which is where I hunt 99%, I find it much superior to the Equinox, which I have used since 2019. I wish I had bought it sooner!

• Like 1