Discriminating Technique You Might Want To Try On The Manticore

I've been investigating a technique for a while now and it seems to work pretty well for me so I decided to put it out here for others to try, if they so choose.  It's something I took advantage of with the Eqx 800, but there only for discriminating shallow USA nickels vs. shallow aluminum trash.  My new method with the Manticore has a broader appeal.

Specifically I use this for coin detecting but it may also work for other intended targets, particularly relics.  I'll just describe it first and at the end give you my settings, which may just be specific to my soils but may also be key to the effect -- IDK.

My default hunt mode is All Terrain, High Conductors (AT-HC).  When I get a high conductivity hit (70 or above, where most USA copper and silver coins live), I then change the mode to All Terrain General (AT-G).  This is easy to do by setting one of the two upper front panel buttons, aka 'soft keys' (I choose the left one) to be 'Favorite'.  I have AT-HC set as my favorite and AT-G as default search mode, but it really doesn't matter which is set to which since pressing the Favorite button just toggles between the two.

What I've found is that if the AT-HC digital TID (dTID) is the same or close to the AT-G dTID, the target ID is reliable -- i.e. a high conductor.  OTOH, if the AT-G dTID is well below the AT-HC dTID (10-15 units is typical), it's likely some kind of unwanted trash (e.g. a roofing nail or bolt).

Now for my settings for both modes:  'All metal' (no notching, etc.), recovery speed = 4, Ferrous Limits 8/3, Stabilizer = 0.  I was running sensitivity = 17 initially but have recently upped that to 19.  And, yes, I Ground Balance and Noise Cancel at the start of a session, which typically remains steady for the rest of the hunt.  The following are very unlikely to affect the method described above, but for completeness:  I have Ferrous Tones set to a low volume (I think it's 3), Normal Audio Theme, Medium Audio Profile, Custom 5 tones, with breaks to enhance USA coin ID's, each tone having a flat (constant) pitch.

Thanks Chuck, I will give this technique a try.

I am always interested in tips and tricks from people that I trust who would not stick their neck out on a forum with this kind of information unless they had seen some positive results over time using it.

Hopefully, those responding will be Manticore owners who can keep an open mind and heart and be nice.

Thanks for the tip GB I used to do something similar with my old Deus 1 to check targets and it worked very well I'll give it a try..

strick