GPS Hardware And Software You Use, Survey And Questions.

I have used Gaia GPS software for years and have the paid version for the ability to load multiple maps with layers, I use it with a Nexus 8 Tablet, mainly for the size, I find phones too small and the screen ratios not very good for viewing large areas, and 10+ inch screens too large for hiking, BUT they no longer seem to make Tablets about that size with a GPS chip and a Compass, both required for serious navigation out away from cell service, so I know it is just a matter of time until my about 10 year old Nexus will die.  I have little experience with Apple products, simply because I cannot see taking a Multi Hundred Dollar anything climbing up and down Cliffs and you name it.!

QUESTIONS -- What GPS Hardware and Software do you use, and Why.?  I am not interested in any Cell Tower based navigation, it is just too unreliable and inaccurate, I am talking Real Satellite GPS, with a Compass to point directions.

I was put onto a great program called Timonz from Reg Wilson, fantastic software for Australia/New Zealand.

It also uses Google Maps for satellite view incorporated into it.    Something handy about it is you can also find the property owners.

• Like 1

In the US, I use Topo Maps on my iPhone- there’s no subscription fees and it uses free to download USGS topo quads that show old mines, adits and prospects and old dirt trails not shown on newly updated maps like Google, and you can ad waypoints and other features on it in addition to see your real-time GPS position, but it’s only on Apple products. I use it on my phone and also on a iPad (a Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS unit will allow a non-GPS iPad to have it).

• Like 1

onX hunt here in Montana and the west.  It has land ownership, GPS tools, tied into google earth, weather and more. I use it constantly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gold Ryder said:

onX hunt here in Montana and the west.  It has land ownership, GPS tools, tied into google earth, weather and more. I use it constantly. 

On XHunt is also nice in that it shows BLM road number identifiers. It would be really useful for prospecting on or near unmarked private lands so you know where you can or can’t go, but I mostly stay on public lands and didn’t use it as much. I stopped using it though when my free trial ran out because I have too many other subscriptions. 

• Like 1

Gaia is my go to. Also paid version and am okay with screen on Samsung phone. 

I seem to 'get by' with Google Maps and I download offline maps.  I can mark spots if I find something, and I can put in claims with the GPS coordinates before I go out.  I can get within 20 feet.  

I can take these locations and look at My Land Matters.

OnX is much better but I don't like to pay if I'm not playing much in the desert.  I've got locations all over my Google Maps.

I mainly use Google Earth on a PC to store lots of data/info about mines/leads.

I also overlay old mining maps, geological data, nugget locations,  and create lots of paths which if detecting reef lines comes in handy to stay on course 

When I come across useful info researching newspapers/mining reports I'll copy and paste that into placemarks which keeps all my research handy for that particular spot. 

From there, I'll transform that data using Garmin Base Camp so the location info is accurate when uploaded to my Garmin GPS. (otherwise, it's up to 30 meters incorrect)

I also upload the KML file to the Google Earth App on my phone which I also use on occasions.

• Like 2

For those interested in finding out more about Topo Maps app I posted earlier about, here’s a link to Topo Maps website:

https://topomapsapp.com/