I normally hunt areas where trowels are required.  I have recently gained access to some more wooded areas and need to add a good shovel to my tool kit.   It preferably won’t weigh me down, but needs to be rugged enough to cut roots without falling apart in a year or two.  The next question is how do you forest hunters carry a shovel?  Do you have some sort of back strap carry pouch, or do you just carry it in your free hand and try to keep it away from the coil?  I would prefer to keep a free hand if possible, but also don’t want to waste a lot of time accessing a shovel for each target.

I recently upgraded to the Radius Pro-Lite Floral Shovel and like it very much. Weighs just 3 pounds. Unbreakable with a lifetime warranty. $45 at most stores or Amazon.  

https://radiusgarden.com/products/copy-of-pro-lite-floral-shovel#tab2

I hunt the woods a lot. I'm 66 years old and sometimes walk a mile or more to get to my sites. When hiking I carry the shovel with my left hand or I put it on top of my detector and carry both with my right hand. When detecting I just carry it by my side or drag it on the ground behind me. I like that the handle is long enough to dig without bending over.

I use the root slayer nomad.  I’ve been using one of these for about 6 years now.  I’m on my third one. First two cracked at the top serration.  Still a very durable shovel (I’m hard on shovels).  With that said, I still love this shovel.  I like the inverted V shape of the tip. It tends to cut through the roots rather than glance off to the side.  These can be had for around $45 if you shop around.  

IMG_4569.png

The Nomad is what I use 90% of the time in woods & open fields. It is excellent all around. Sturdy but light, easy to carry and digs nice clean plugs. Roots are not a problem. I have all 3 of Radius’s Root Slayer line, plus both of their hand trowel models.

I vote for the Radius Nomad too !  

You can order it at Amz ,  HD orange or L blue $41. ,( about $5 cheaper at  blue than orange). 

L blue  has the big root slayer in stock in their house brand lineup. ~$40

I had the big root slayer first but it was too big and heavy for me .  It sure can cut a deep plug though. Gave it to my detecting buddy....

Don't call me Goldilocks but the little root slayer Nomad was just right !  Sometimes just using the tip for shallow targets works better than my hori knife  !

I drag it behind me unless I'm in the rocks. I sometimes clip it to my belt with a big carabiner and a bit of para cord to leave a hand free.

OH , one more thing . Keep the protective plastic and get a heavy rubber band to hold it in place. It makes a huge difference in what those teeth chew on in the vehicle 😏 

I bought a Nomad a few years back and didn't like the narrow blade which takes longer to cut a plug and does not scoop dirt well. The big Root Slayer with the wider blade looks nice but it is heavy and expensive.

I chose the Floral mainly for its lightness and its ability to cut plugs quickly and efficiently. Tree roots can be a challenge sometimes. Serrated edges would be a nice improvement.

My vote is for Predator Tools, specifically the Ranger. It is a D handle shovel made with the strongest steel possible, has double serrations like the Nomad, and the cutting blade is 11". It's a bit shorter than some of the other ones on the site in length of handle, which makes it a lil easier to go in the woods with.

https://www.predatortools.com

theran2(1).thumb.jpg.ea3575506b7753a1cf0b7b6d3f696ddf.jpg

This thing is an absolute beast and won't break.

theran3_2048x2048.thumb.jpg.4785e0b83c3e9f056f011ed648d5b284.jpg

I've had mine for 4 years now and you know how much I get out. 🙂 It doesn't even creak.

Even if I'm in the woods I keep it over my shoulder like this, but on my left instead of my right. 😀

07952b275da4a15f575164ebaf31a1b0.thumb.jpg.7c4fd23ba2c2e66e7030b90677d61f6e.jpg

GL, HH 🍀

I’m with F350.  I have exactly the same shovel.  Can’t go wrong with that one

I use a Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel. It's heavy, but I've used it on 3" diameter roots, prying out river rocks, and smacking a rabid raccoon! 

https://gravediggertools.com/ 

Nokta's shovel:

https://www.amazon.com/Nokta-Makro-Premium-Stainless-Shovel/dp/B08ZYCZ748

Nice because you customize length to suit your needs. I keep mine fully-extended, and wrap duct tape around the shaft and handle.

But man, they've gone up in price! Mine was like $70 a year-and-a-half ago.