Garrett Vortex Launch - My Quick Takes

I said they on another post that we need the US tester come on here and let us hear his opinion being he’s a first user on here.

Chuck 

1 hour ago, AirmetTango said:

Lack of audio customization is a big negative from my perspective - to me, the ability to change tone pitches, volumes, and breaks has become an expected standard for serious upper mid-range and higher machines. I'll be curious to see how customizable the notch function is, too (individual numbers versus a range like Apex and AT series). Hopefully Garrett will post a manual for the Vortex series soon.

Until we see the manual or at least all the menu items we are not sure yet what the audio options may or may not be.

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

I said they on another post that we need the US tester come on here and let us hear his opinion being he’s a first user on here.

Chuck 

Go here:

• Like 2

It depends on performance. Don't like the shaft - will not fit my backpack.

Rutus Versa is stil more tempting for myself.

The display layout reminds me of old White's models with triple VDI bar. But it uses dot-matrix display, so they can enhance this later without any issues. Unlike Nokta with Legend.

• Like 1

One thing that struck me was how studiously they made sure that any comparative claim was followed by “of any Garrett detector”. They know full well that they are late to the MF game but act as though the competition doesn’t exist. 

The “upgrade by software” is a bit of a slap - sure, it cuts their costs by having to make only one machine, but I’d be annoyed knowing that the hardware I own has been crippled and that I have to pay more to use fully what I already have. What’s next? Subscriptions? 

But I really like the blue color they picked for it. 

• Like 1

I really like the look of it, it's hard to know if it will be a success for them or not, it's clearly not a top tier VLF, more middle ground type stuff, the lack of prospecting modes are disappointing, that immediately rules me out as being a customer UNLESS it's a great performer, target ID stability would be the key for me wanting one, I love and use my CTX for that very reason, it would not make a good prospecting machine  🙂

Sounds a big step up for their AT Series customers.

I was confused at first with the paid upgrades after only reading a few comments, I'd just fallen out of bed, but now I understand and that's fantastic, we all know an Equinox 600 is really a throttled back Equinox 800, so having the option to pay for software upgrades to jump up models and the detector designed for the purpose is fantastic, a really good feature, top marks from me on that one, as the user grows in their ability they can now move up, gives more confidence in new comers to buy the cheaper model knowing they can upgrade it as they start to grow in their ability or when they know they're confident they're sticking with the hobby.  I wouldn't be at all disappointed knowing my entry level machine is really a held back top of the line machine, I'd be happy with that knowing for a small fee I can update it if I ever need or want to.  At least the detecting hobby isn't mainstream enough for hackers to come in and patch up a copy of the firmware to distribute to spread the top of the line firmware around for free 😛

We have to remember Garrett are swimming upstream, fighting against a myriad of patents, the innovator sets the path, the rest have to follow but can't take the same path, and have to try find another way, when you're lagging behind it' makes it a lot harder to find a new path.

A thing that puzzles me, salt modes on the higher models, yet you can buy an Ace Apex and hit the salt well.

• Like 3

At 1/2 the price of equinox 900 and 1/3 price of the manticore, I think it will do ok. It will really need to give the legend a run for its money to be a real contender in my opinion.  As long as they release the optional coils soon, and at a reasonable price, we will see how well it does. It might be on my list, since I don't have a MF detector in my arsenal yet. It will be fun to see experienced users opinion of it in all scenarios.  

It looks like Garrett has improved a few things and fixed issues after the Apex experience . More performing electronics with much more stable TIDs .A new and better coil connector . A submersible CB .   It is a pity that they still use an outdated shaft design but this is not the most important .

And I would have preferred a Viper instead of a Raider as stock coil. I have tested the Raider on the Apex it is an heavy coil and the Viper is much more cumfortable to use.

Then for me not a revolution but the Vortex looks like a serious detector 

The prices are reasonable and I like its modern look

Looking fwd to the field tests now ...

• Like 2

I just called Garrett and the lady said it would be a while before it’s out . She was sorry she didn’t have a date when that would be.

Like Steve said we need to read the owners manual. For one reason that’s all we going to have unless we hear from someone that gets their hands on one come late July .

I wonder if Garrett has a test garden? Now that would have been more interesting than what was shown.

Heck my Vista X I can turn the iron volume off if I don’t want to hear it like on their nail board test .

Chuck