Manticore Gold Coin Find And Gold Coin ID For Those Interested

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thnaks Andy. I did find a 2022 post by PSPR that relayed information imparted originally by Tom Dankowski. I have copied it here. A general match up but some difference in the $5 coin. Maybe a change in later firmware?

Here are a few from NASA-Tom:

A new shiny Nickel ID's as '27'..... and will very clearly lock on to 27. A new clad Quarter ID's as '88'...... and does not jump around...... unless it is steeply tilted. A new clad dime ID's as '78'. A silver dime ID's as '80'..... unless it is heavily worn down. These are just a few examples. Magnetite/lateritic iron-oxide dirt will cause ID's to 'up-average'..... to a certain point (depth)...... then at the deeper depths....... ID's will then begin to drop.

Federally minted U.S. Gold Coin ID on Manticore =

$1 Type-1 = 23
$1 Type-2 & 3 = 20
$2.50 Quarter Eagle = 37 & 38
$5.00 Half Eagle = 49-53
$10.00 Eagle = 65
$20.00 Double Eagle = 76, 77, 78

1-Oz .9999 Canadian Mapleleaf = 95

U.S. 3-Cent Nickel = 12-16

Odd that he has such a wide range for the $5. Could be that a Liberty Head reads different that the Indian head. My Liberty head $5 reads 49-50.

Andrew, I'm very glad that you're increasing your score again in found gold coins...and congratulations...
Another thing that pleased me is... that you take really seriously... the detection of targets by ID... when you are in a place that is worth it...
I wish you another successful search for other nice signals...:smile:👍...

1 hour ago, abenson said:

Odd that he has such a wide range for the $5. Could be that a Liberty Head reads different that the Indian head. My Liberty head $5 reads 49-50.

Probably not simply that as since 1866 the weight (8.359 g), the composition (90% gold, 10% copper), and the diameter (21.6 mm) have been held uniform.  However, the diameter did change in 1866 and both composition and weight were different prior to 1839.  Is the $5 piece you're referring to have a date earlier than 1866?

Back on the general topic of Manticore ID values, I often wonder if mode choice in particular, and other variables like recovery speed have an effect.  It would seem that the calibration isn't perfectly linear from one group of settings to the next so to make a perfectly matching VDI scale would take a lot of effort on the part of detector designers/prototypers/manufacturers.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Probably not simply that as since 1866 the weight (8.359 g), the composition (90% gold, 10% copper), and the diameter (21.6 mm) have been held uniform.  However, the diameter did change in 1866 and both composition and weight were different prior to 1839.  Is the $5 piece you're referring to have a date earlier than 1866?

Back on the general topic of Manticore ID values, I often wonder if mode choice in particular, and other variables like recovery speed have an effect.  It would seem that the calibration isn't perfectly linear from one group of settings to the next so to make a perfectly matching VDI scale would take a lot of effort on the part of detector designers/prototypers/manufacturers.

My $5 is a 1901

Maybe mode has an effect on ID. I usually use General or ATLC and the ID is the same on both of those modes.

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Combining Tom and Andy's results for maximum safety plus a few key references:

$1 Type-2 & 3 = 20 - 21
$1 Type-1 = 23 - 24

U.S. Nickel = 25 - 27
$2.50 Quarter Eagle = 37 - 38
$5.00 Half Eagle = 49 - 53

Zinc Penny = 60 - 61
$10.00 Eagle = 65 - 66
$20.00 Double Eagle = 76 - 78

Clad Dime = 77 - 78

minelab-manticore-us-gold-coin-chart.jpg
Minelab Manticore U.S. Gold Coin Chart

Steve,

This is what I came up with on my air tests for the gold coins that I have in my collection.  Very close to Andy's results.  Again, this was an air test but still interesting.  

image.png.07e0263ebe73cb077fce14beb13a648f.png

Just now, MFF18B said:

Steve,

This is what I came up with on my air tests for the gold coins that I have in my collection.  Very close to Andy's results.  Again, this was an air test but still interesting.  

Air tests are a must for establishing baseline results. In ground it can be all over the map depending on mineralization and adjacent targets. Thanks for adding to the results!

33 minutes ago, MFF18B said:

This is what I came up with on my air tests for the gold coins that I have in my collection.  Very close to Andy's results.  Again, this was an air test but still interesting

Thanks for the chart, maybe I’ll find one of those numbers one day as that’s the main reason I still use a VLF and that is to find a gold coin.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Air tests are a must for establishing baseline results. In ground it can be all over the map depending on mineralization and adjacent targets. Thanks for adding to the results!

Absolutely,  I sat down for a couple days and did a complete chart for the D2, Manticore and Legend for all my coins.   

My experience is that different modes create different IDs not as much with coins as with trash signals, but a shift of 1 or 2 IDs up or down is common for me on coins. Trash seems to generate + or - 5 on the IDs, I use the difference to decide on dig or no dig.  

"I usually use General or ATLC and the ID is the same on both of those modes."

These are my two favorites unless I'm on the beach... WTG on the gold coin...cant tell you how many 22 brass I've dug looking for that elusive $1 gold coin...Nice work!

strick