Keeping The Silver Coming Anyway (shrug)

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm going to either try and get some plastic mesh for it

I damn like this sifter...Just try to change the mesh and enjoy it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MSC said:

Good story, good post.

Thanks MSC,

These are the experiences of a relic and beach hunter (me) fairly new to water hunting. I've written a few times expressing my admiration of those who can take the pounding in the surf or brave scuba diving, I generally hunt the dry where the waves are big. Here at the river some days it can be flat if you're there at the right time, and if you want to be almost guaranteed a precious metal find, it will be there - apparently. I've had good luck every time anyway.

Next week I'll be hunting a coastal beach and likely will be on the sand for most of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skull diver said:

I damn like this sifter...Just try to change the mesh and enjoy it.

Thanks, I'm considering that but ABS, Poly, and PVC screen mesh add almost as much to the price, but it is under $80 to Prime members: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CZTQ88CL

They really should put a thick material like I mentioned above in it with zip ties.

What I'd really like to have is the "Tube Tubb", but it's $175 and $25 shipping. 

DSC_1394_1-1200x480.thumb.jpg.ce16b1ebea4743d6c803b1cf0a12fd23.jpg

Not a scrap of metal on it, the Hoover Boys use them for river hunting in MD.

I have some Kevlar mesh I may use with zip ties. 🤔 Then nothing but sand will fall through.

• Like 2

Hit my local (ha, an hour drive one way) beach yesterday hoping to do a water hunt, as yet the jellyfish have not appeared, or are very few.

My ocean beaches are about 7 hours from Atlanta. If I was an hour away like you lucky dog, I would hit the ocean beaches at least weekly during the non-winter months. Enjoy while you can.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm considering that but ABS, Poly, and PVC screen mesh

Consider getting this and drilling your own holes.  There are a lot of options (i.e. bit types) for drilling.  You can search the internet.  The main issue (and it's not a critical one for this application) is to keep the bit from walking when starting the hole.  As far as cutting to shape, that isn't too difficult, either.  I've used a scroll saw but a sabre saw or even a jig saw will work.  I've cut 1/32" with aviation snips but I don't know if that scales up to thicker sheets.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

have some Kevlar mesh I may use with zip ties

This could be a good solution, but perhaps a plastic sheet of the same size, drilled (several times) with a drill, would be preferable.

I would drill slightly smaller holes in it though.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Keeping The Silver Coming Anyway (shrug)
53 minutes ago, maxxkatt said:

My ocean beaches are about 7 hours from Atlanta. If I was an hour away like you lucky dog, I would hit the ocean beaches at least weekly during the non-winter months. Enjoy while you can.

I've been to Tybee Island, it's a 4 hour drive from Atlanta minus gridlock possibly, it's about 10 for me 😅 parking isn't free there either. 😵 Hunting can be good but usually wouldn't be worth the fuel combined. Lots of beach hunters there.

• Like 1