Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Prospecting For Processed Gold

Western/eastern Treasure mag had an article about someone that dredged just below that bridge in Reno...back in the early 80's if memory serves...I doubt you could get away with that now...The river should be ripe by now; or wait for a drought year and detect below the bridge....

Yes, the views on the beach can be distracting but always interesting.

fred

"Those are my favorites. Right now I'm enamored with the F75. I'd pay a premium to get a Cleansweep/Bigfoot style coil for my Fishers."

Ain't that the truth! Why is it so hard to get these coils?

For those who do not know these 3" x 18" coils are superb for covering large areas quickly and cherry picking targets. They are so good they are usually banned from organized treasure hunts. But they are only available for a few models and hard to find even for them. I have a Big Foot for my V3i. Or should I say I have a V3i for my Big Foot?

To tell the truth, the only reason I still use any Tesoro models is because of the Cleansweep coil.  

There is a man that will modify a H.O.T Cleansweep for the new Fisher Gold Bug Pro models but it doesn't work like a properly functioning coil should, although it would be fine for just nugget hunting in places where that size coil would be useful.   It drops the high conductors in Disc mode.  Works fine in All Metal, just no high conductors will respond in Disc mode.

I liked the Bigfoot but the surface foot print of the Bigfoot coil is too big for my liking.   You wouldn't think it would be so hard to reverse engineer a coil but evidently it is, or maybe they can but they can't get it V-rated.

One company tried to make a long 3" x 20" DD for the DFX, called a Big Dawg.   I didn't hear good reviews and of course Whites discontinued the DFX which killed the future of that coil.   I sent them messages asking them to make that size for the new Fisher/Tek models.   Nothing came of that and I'm not sure that company is still in business.

I think there is a Beach Hog out for the TDI.  4.5" x 22".   I thought about picking up one of these for my TDI but never did.   

Been after Dave and the gang at 1st Texas but they have no interest in what they term "specialty" coils.   But hey, they made that monster 15" so I still have hope that someday they'll come around.

HH

Mike

These is my recommended reading guides for inland jewelry hunting.....

DFX Gold Methods by Clive James Clynick

Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination  by Robert C. Brockett

The DFX Gold Methods is really THE manual for inland jewelry hunting.   His other books are good, but this one is the best.  Clive sent me a signed copy of the Jewelry Hunters Handbook after he got it finished, and while it is good, I still consider the DFX Gold Methods to be the real manual.  

The second one, Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination, really highlights what effect discrimination has.   This will also put into your mindset the usefulness of intelligent notching and focus.   Once you see that, you start looking at the equipment differently.   Its not about digging trash until you find gold, its about digging the right trash in the right areas until you find the gold. 

HH
Mike

• Like 1

I've heard soccer fields for gold chains ,especially where the Hispanic adults play. We were asked to help find a large gold wedding band on the sidelines of such a soccer field. Apparently, the players put their street shoes here along with wedding bands, and sometimes ferget the ring is in their shoes. We found the ring in about an hour and returned it. My buddy was telling me about baseball fields where adults play,especially down the base lines,while we were hunting a ball field. 2 minutes later he scores a mens 14K ring just inches deep to prove his point !!!  I got a heavy mens silver ring just a few inches deep in thick grass following this strategy at a local baseball field. An outfielder throws the ball hard and his wedding band flies off his finger is our reasoning. Both these locations require ADULTS PLAYING to get gold rings and chains !!  

I've found a few silver and gold chains and bracelets in past years. Silver chains make a machine gun like chattter as I recall.Gold chains are more iffy beeps,usually its the clasp that makes the detector beep. Would like to hear gold chain hunters secrets myself?  I found most of my jewelry with Tesoro Lobo St and 9x8 or 8 inch round coils. The Black Sand mode is really handy for mineralized black sand beaches. I got a Playboy gold pendant at just a sandy swim beach  location about 7 inches , in sand that made my machine chatter real bad until I put her in Black sand mode, otherwise I would have missed that gold item.

I've never found any jewelry at sand volleyball courts and not many coins either. Guess i need to go to some games and watch where folks put their stuff so I know where to look for goodies?

-Tom V.

For me I have turned away from trying to outsmart the targets and gone more towards efficient target recovery. When I hunt jewelry now I never dig a plug. I simply look for targets, stab them with my pinpointer, and if the pinpointer hits them, pop them with a screwdriver and move on. If the pinpointer can't hit it I just pass it up for the next target. The pinpointer has actually become my discrimination device. This way I am able to recover very many targets with minimal effort and as close to zero impact to the ground as possible. Kind of no-brainer relaxing also once I get into the rhythm. I barely pay attention to what I am finding until I get a nice surprise.

If you watch where the players take off their ball gloves you will find a rich area. Base lines are good and places where the out fielders tend to take their glove off comming in at the end of an inning. The action of pulling the glove off produces more rings then the actual throwing of the ball. 

• Like 1

So many excellent pointers for park and sports field hunting. Steve, the high-speed hunting you describe reminds me of a couple I used to run into in one of my favorite parks. They seemed way to old to be detecting back when I was thirty. They were about the age i am now, how one's perspective changes-I digress.

Her method was to get a signal and scratch around with her screwdriver. If it was not right on the surface she moved on. She found many rings and never dug a hole.

fred