Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Nokta Makro Pulse Induction Gold Prospecting Detector

Yes, something similar to the QED at the right price with a far better build quality would be fine, although it would need the modern detector options which we are all used to now which would be a simple task for Nokta, just the usual things they're putting on all of their machines, a decent user interface, a nice backlit screen for settings, even USB firmware updates to put them ahead of the legacy GPX series, wireless audio with Bluetooth and so on, combined with a good build quality to handle being used as a tool,, not a toy.  Nokta can do this easily as they do it with every detector.

They need to match the QED pulse delay which was 7uS and later increased to 8uS which I disliked and this was done using existing GPX coils.  It also needs to have a proper working ground grab (press a button and pump the coil to get a ground balance) and also ground tracking if they can, although less necessary, neither of these the QED has.

The QED's system of bias towards small and large targets rather than having MPS/MPF is fine as long as the price is reflective of this.

A built in speaker would be a great bonus, one that's got plenty of volume.

I really want Nokta to achieve this, they can do it.

The high end prospecting market might be well covered, but there are far more people that want to do it as a hobby not willing to spend the big bucks to get to the Minelab pricing, if Nokta can create that market they'll do very well.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

They need to match the QED pulse delay which was 7uS and later increased to 8uS which I disliked and this was done using existing GPX coils.  It also needs to have a proper working ground grab (press a button and pump the coil to get a ground balance) and also ground tracking if they can, although less necessary, neither of these the QED has.

I firmly agree with everything you said, Simon....bar the ground grab-only option. Tracking becomes supremely necessary here in Oz and was one of the main reasons the QED didn't succeed. I ditched mine within a couple weeks as did Rick Bryant and a few other successful Vic-based prospectors. It just couldn't keep up with mineralization variations and suffered a reduction in small gold detection ability because of that. A switchable option between tracking and fixed/grab is ideal I feel. The African and Australian markets would 'demand' it I reckon.

• Like 4

That's why they need testers in various locations, I could easily live without tracking, and just have a ground grab, in fact I'd rather not use tracking and on my GPX I've run Fixed the entire time I've had it and never once needed to use tracking. 

The QED lacks ground grab and tracking needing the user to manually set the ground balance constantly, this is a very primitive style of balancing I think, similar to the old Gold Bug 2 that was released when I was a school kid. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

That's why they need testers in various locations, I could easily live without tracking, and just have a ground grab, in fact I'd rather not use tracking and on my GPX I've run Fixed the entire time I've had it and never once needed to use tracking.

Very much a case of 'lucky you' for living in NZ Simon! I see soil every day I go out detecting, that consists of black and brown iron pisolites overlying variable iron oxide encrusted clay. Nothing works manually, only tracking can keep up... the ground noise itself is constantly a nuisance addition to the threshold! Picking faint targets out of the audio mess is an art form in Oz... ?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

Will there be enough band width?

The pulse-train will have to be coded to suit the type of detector it ends up to be....whether multi-channel or single channel with bias. As long as the delay is under 8uS (for high sens bias or a hypothetical channel 2) or lower with a fast sampling rate to match, then it has serious potential. With current processors, the width of the train is entirely code-able to handle a lot more target size, emi, ground signal extraction, transmit voltage and heaps more. It just needs a good code written to suit the type of detector it needs to be. 

• Like 1

One extra 'addition' to the overall design, which I feel would add extra versatility and power is a frequency change option. On my modded GPX4500, this option adds SDC2300 type sensitivity with small coils (I love the 9" Elite) using the high frequency setting while still allowing terrific depth on solid nuggets. At the other end, the low frequency allows terrific depth on larger targets, using bigger coils (18" monos or larger). I'm uncertain if the QED type bias control already alters the frequency OR its a code alteration. If its code (pulse train), then BOTH bias AND frequency user control options would surely add a significant % of depth and sensitivity I'm thinking....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If a PI is in the works, might as well offer a Beach Version.

With the loss of both White’s Dual Field and Tesoro’s Sand Shark, I no longer have a detector suited for rough surf conditions. My Excal gets beat up pretty bad, requiring constant repair.

I have a Legend on the way, but PI depth is what I really need.

Wish list from Nokta Makro:

1. Extremely Durable

2. Exceptional Waterproofing

3. Beveled Edge Coil to slice through water

4. Permanently Bonded Coil Protector

5. Single Pushbutton Option for Maximum Depth. Blow our minds with a detector that can claim deepest ever! If it beeps, I’ll dig.

6. Vibration and Waterproof Headphones/Connector

7. LED Flashlight

8. Shaft Connectors that Prevent Sand Intrusion

9. Lightweight

10. Coil Options/Waterproof Connector

Thank You

• Like 2

Hello all.... copied all the posts in a word document and will go through them myself first and then share with the engineers.

A few questions - 

1) IS GPS NECESSARY/BENEFICIAL ON A PI UNIT?

2) IS COLOR SCREEN MORE PREFERRED? ADVANTAGES / DISADVANTAGES 

3) ARE YOU OK WITH AN EXTERNAL CABLE AROUND THE SHAFT?

4) COILS - SIZES AND SHAPES (3 PLEASE)

5) IS 10 FT WATERPROOF GOOD ENOUGH? 

PS. Sorry if any of these were mentioned already in the posts.... did not read them all yet. 

• Like 5