9” Or 11x13”?

Ogliuga

Hi guys. Have been using D2 since January with the 11” coil: I think it’s perfect. I’d like to get another coil for Christmas. I’m very undecided. I always hunt in open fields where mineralization is poor but there are areas where it’s very strong. Years ago I had the 9” for my Deus1: how 11x13” performs on strong mineralization? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ogliuga said:

Hi guys. Have been using D2 since January with the 11” coil: I think it’s perfect. I’d like to get another coil for Christmas. I’m very undecided. I always hunt in open fields where mineralization is poor but there are areas where it’s very strong. Years ago I had the 9” for my Deus1: how 11x13” performs on strong mineralization? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I'm going to take a shot at this and say that any size coil will be affected by mineralization. If you watch EL NINO's video in this thread, he says his soil is "very bad", I'm assuming a high mineral content.

If you're looking for depth the evidence is clear, you want to get a larger coil. Obviously if you want more coverage with each swing, you want a larger coil. 😀 

Where the 9" coil shines is with separation, and the ability to use it in tight spaces like the woods. If your area is loaded with trash such as aluminum and iron, it will also work well for you. Another advantage is reduction of fatigue in your arm, which means you can search longer. 🙂

To me, depth is subjective and speed is the objective. I want to find as many good targets as I can in the time I have. A larger coil is simply less precise.

I started out with the 9" coil and it has worked well for me. I bought the 11" and sadly cannot tell if it found any deeper targets, but for sure without centering it with a device it shortened my detecting time. 😵 

We will see today whether the 13" can locate more in an area (open farm field) that I have "hoovered" with the 9" and 11" coils.

What I am hoping for is better ID accuracy at depth. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your opinion! You’re 100% right and agree with you. Hunting always in open fields, I’m looking for more coverage but I have also a lot of iron. I have to decide because the little one is very light and is super in trashy sites. The 13x11” is heavier. Don’t know. I’d like also to know how it behaves on low conductor buried in mineralized soils. Really don’t know..

7 hours ago, Ogliuga said:

Thanks for your opinion! You’re 100% right and agree with you. Hunting always in open fields, I’m looking for more coverage but I have also a lot of iron. I have to decide because the little one is very light and is super in trashy sites. The 13x11” is heavier. Don’t know. I’d like also to know how it behaves on low conductor buried in mineralized soils. Really don’t know..

The 9" is a must have ... 🙂   You cant go wrong with it ..

The 9" coil has always been a reference coil for the XPs either the Gold maxx in the 2000s , then the D1 since 2013 , and its going to be the same thing with the D2  ... 

The 13X11 is more for beach hunters because of its coverage , just my opinion ... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I agree with you too! I had 9” about 10 years ago with the D1 but I hunted mostly with the 11” one and I sold it. I’d like to know how the 9” performs on little low conductor targets in mineralized soils compared to 11x13”. I’m very very undecided, as if I had to choose between a beautiful blonde and a beautiful brunette. It’s true talking about 9” like a must have. That’s the truth. But if the 11x13” was strong and performing on little thin target in mineralized soils, better than 9”, I’d know what to buy..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ogliuga said:

Thanks! I agree with you too! I had 9” about 10 years ago with the D1 but I hunted mostly with the 11” one and I sold it. I’d like to know how the 9” performs on little low conductor targets in mineralized soils compared to 11x13”. I’m very very undecided, as if I had to choose between a beautiful blonde and a beautiful brunette. It’s true talking about 9” like a must have. That’s the truth. But if the 11x13” was strong and performing on little thin target in mineralized soils, better than 9”, I’d know what to buy..

Very few people use the 11X13 for inland hunting over here , probably because of its weight and high iron masking level ... Mineralized I dont know because I only detect on moderately mineralized soils ..

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply!  
I don’t know, maybe I’ll buy the 9 inch because I want to hunt in vineyards and olive groves. With D1 I remember very little difference between 9 and 11 inch coils on little targets while it’s more marked on medium sized target. It’s a hard decision. Anyway I’ll go to the official XP dealer here in Italy in the next few days and decide. 👍

• Like 3

For what it's worth, My Deus 2 came with a 9" coil and I love it. I have used it on parks, fairly large sports fields, ghost towns and a fresh water beach. It has performed well in all locations so far. I was and still am considering the 11"x13" coil to cover larger open areas like fields and beaches, but I feel like the 9" can handle anything and it is very good at separating targets and unmasking in iron and high mineralization, and hitting tiny targets. Also it's so light, I can swing it all day. That's just my perspective.

• Like 5

The 11x13 looks better for coverage but I don't really think it would be much deeper than the 11. Saying that, it maybe a hair difference, but in theory there wouldn't be much between the 2 as its still only 11 wide. Just my take on it, I may be wrong though. By the way I use a 9 and its suit my style very well.

• Like 5

Thank you guys! I think I’ll get the 9”. Because also the lightness is really important for me because of some problems with my right arm.  Swinging with the only 9” coil with the RC hip mounted...yes, I’ll try. Thanks all again for your opinions and help!

• Like 4