Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Important Update On Miccus Sr-71 Headphones

2 hours ago, KD0CAC said:

Anybody else a little or more unhappy .

I'm not because I have found no less than 7 BT headphone models that pair up just fine with Equinox in low latency mode (including BT 5.0 phones) ranging from $30 to $100, plus there is always the WM08 receiver option for the 800 that accommodates any wired MD headphone.  People just need to be smart and read the specs when shopping for a replacement.  I would rather have options on choice of headphones that comply with a commercial standard (BT APTX LL) rather than be locked into a MD manufacturer's limited proprietary wireless model that cannot be used for any other purpose.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks, Tom.  That means they are not APTX LL.  Just means you can't guarantee the worst case latency of APTX LL.  In some cases APTX latency is very noticeable and unusable.  It is just important for people to know that their mileage might vary and the latency of aptx ll can't be guaranteed for these phones and that could be a deal breaker for some folks.

Below is a good post comparing the various bluetooth protocol latencies.  APTX LL is 30 - 40 ms, while APTX is 60 - 80 ms.  I have a pair of vanilla APTX headphones and they are unusable for me due to the amount of lag.  You basically get two different "beep" positions as you sweep he coil back and forth over a single target.  It is maddening..

On 4/23/2020 at 10:28 PM, Tometusns said:

Chase, you're right. I sure wouldn't want to mislead anybody and them get something that wouldn't work for them. I'm very happy with these and like I stated in my previous post. I wasn't able to tell any difference between these and my wired minelab phones on lag time or if there was it was so close I couldn't really tell. I think I got lucky maybe. HH Tom

I have taken the last set of headphones I bought and tried them out to see about lag and they are terrible!! Also did more testing with the first pair and there is a slight difference in lag on them. They are usable but there is a little lag. The second pair I bought remind me of what Chase was referring to when he said they wouldn't work on your detector and these won't!! I checked all the numbers ect. on each set and they're the same but not even close on lag time. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused. Thanks and HH!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I'm not because I have found no less than 7 BT headphone models that pair up just fine with Equinox in low latency mode (including BT 5.0 phones) ranging from $30 to $100, plus there is always the WM08 receiver option for the 800 that accommodates any wired MD headphone.  People just need to be smart and read the specs when shopping for a replacement.  I would rather have options on choice of headphones that comply with a commercial standard (BT APTX LL) rather than be locked into a MD manufacturer's limited proprietary wireless model that cannot be used for any other purpose.

Sure would like to find some of those , every one I've check has been sold out , or other issues and costing excessive .

Also most of the comments leave lots of doubt , lack of enough to confirmation , that makes it a toss up ?

I do realize that there is issues , faults all over the place .

Generally , maybe partially because of age I get frustrated with over complication , it seems to me most that are younger grew up with all the extra bs and are just use to it / don't know the difference .  

I've been in one business or another for over 50 yrs. and see an endless gouging [ started at the top and everyone below has to gouge to keep going ] that is just getting older faster than I am ;(

Probably pissed some , my way of thinking is you can only piss yourself off , either that what you want or ? 

8 hours ago, KD0CAC said:

Generally , maybe partially because of age I get frustrated with over complication , it seems to me most that are younger grew up with all the extra bs and are just use to it / don't know the difference .  

I'm kind of surprised by this statement because you know your way around a soldering iron and circuit board like nobody's business.  Wish I had that skill.  I'm all thumbs and love to burn up electronic components if I try to dive in myself, but the throway nature of surface mount micro-electronics makes DIY repair hard these days.

I'm in my latest 50's, so yeah, I might fit into your younger gadget demographic :wink:, but here are some headphone models I have found that work with Equinox just fine and that are still available out there(the $30 earbud models are admittedly hard to find now):

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/pro-headphones?matchtype=&network=u&device=c&adposition=&keyword=&campaign={shopping}&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7qn1BRDqARIsAKMbHDajJK-O_Yzqs8ndhX3vp3376Zomq4bZ4rSWihl9685bufjvR2h6fncaAgn0EALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEHIMLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another option for folks who have a 600 and didn't get a WM08 wireless receiver module is to go with a small bluetooth APTX LL transceiver into which you can plug your favorite wired cans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4W40VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I will put in the YMMV disclaimer because of the myriad of compatibility issues that have been reported, but I can say these have worked with my primary and backup Nox's and I have paired some of these with the Vanquish (not a fan of the ML branded phones, they sound muddy to me, but maybe just because I had the Miccus phones for a time well before I got the Equinox so perhaps got used to how they sounded vs. the ML Equinox wireless phones).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KD0CAC said:

This is not Minelabs issue - kinda ?

Well they picked the headphones .

Might have to find another supplier / manufacture of metal detectors , someone who will not leave customers in a deep dark hole ?

Especially when they jackup the price by 2-3 times ?

No, it is not Minelab’s issue, because this thread is not about the Minelab included headphones, it is about Miccus aftermarket headphones. The current Miccus version is different than what Minelab includes with Equinox or sells separately. There is no problem with the Minelab supplied headphone.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Anybody else a little or more unhappy .

Not in the slightest, life is good in my world, thanks for asking. Best wishes for you and yours. :smile:

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised by this statement because you know your way around a soldering iron and circuit board like nobody's business.  Wish I had that skill.  I'm all thumbs and love to burn up electronic components if I try to dive in myself, but the throway nature of surface mount micro-electronics makes DIY repair hard these days. "   Chase Goldman 

What I am referring to age wise , is programing / computer controlled , vs. circuit board work - thats just mechanical  working with my hand/eye coordination .

Or put another way - I could be a brain surgeon , I can work on brains / but cannot work with brains ?

Or , my hands & eyes are coordinated , but the brain - hand coordination is problematic 

Thanks for the links .

• Like 1

Got delivered today through Amazon , tried pairing twice by turning the detector on and then  headphones , and off and on a 2nd time .

Then the 3rd time turned on the detector , then the headphones - paired with the + works good .

Now to go out & play .

And the price was ok also , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Chase 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 5:07 PM, KD0CAC said:

Got delivered today through Amazon , tried pairing twice by turning the detector on and then  headphones , and off and on a 2nd time .

Then the 3rd time turned on the detector , then the headphones - paired with the + works good .

Now to go out & play .

And the price was ok also , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Chase 

You had me scared there for a second...lol.  Glad they worked out.