My Adventure Down South With Story And Pics

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

To me it is all about Adventure to new sites.   It's much more rewarding and educational for me to see how people live in the area, what terrain and landscape is all about.  I enjoy seeing with my own eyes what makes up a site and why people would go visit or even live there.  Finding the gold is just an added bonus.  My list of "Just go do it" places is longer than most, but at the same time I feel I have been able to do more than the average Joe.  Maybe it is because I never had kids, maybe the wife enjoys me being away for a while, maybe just how I am wired, but I like to travel, absorb new things and dream.  Having the detector in hand also allows for a great many business write offs.

I have pretty good gold areas in ID, MT, OR, NV. that will always give a little.  Heck, If I spent the same amount of time at one of these sites, as I did in MX, I most certainly would have recovered more gold, but those sites I know well and in the back of my mind, new fresh ground in another region could be golden?  We've learned most of the time, those dreams really don't have loads more of gold, but just seeing new country is rewarding.

Now I do plan on heading back to Australia this fall and hopefully someone will invite me along for a couple or few days swinging.  I'd like to do a little nugget hunting as well as dip into the water for some beach/water detecting with an Equinox (one of my other passions - water hunting).  I figure someone over there might want to get some free tips/tricks and detector knowledge.  Heck, I might even sell my detectors after the trip to them for a really good price. 

I've spent time around the Leonora/Kalgoorlie area with some GP's years back, so somewhere new would be most ideal. 

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, agreed. It's always been more about the adventure for me as well, but it was nice to have the low-down on Mexico too.

I've travelled widely chasing the gold, and I still do simply for the adventure, and many times, I haven't paid for my trips with the gold I found, nor is it a concern to me as the memories are the true value of the gold that lasts, as well as getting to meet the wonderful people I do along the way.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure what Witchery Paul uses, but he does get the invites...I am too shy to ask...or afraid of rejection....or what ever.

If you have not been to the Pilbra/Nullagine or the Kimberlys ....well, they are spectacular...in my opinion.

good luck and have fun

I love Oz

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing guys!  A real pick-me-up during these winter doldrums. As noted, both of you found some stunning pieces which are quite unique!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, fredmason said:

If you have not been to the Pilbra/Nullagine or the Kimberlys ....well, they are spectacular...in my opinion.

good luck and have fun

Your on the money Fred, over here in NQ OZ, although there are a few private properties that allow fossickers on for payment, most of our gold country is on private property where only a few are allowed and that is understandable as they`ve experienced enough of the "average" disrespectful sly fossicker. 

Gerry & Lunk go with Freds advice, WA has the laws that allow fossicking, The Kimberleys are simply magic and is a massive area, advice...…. get very experienced with your GPS device, OZ gold loves remote massive empty dry areas and perhaps look at paid tours, might cost but you will not be using time up ensuring your legal or safe and should be put onto chance of gold every tour day. The tag-along-tours Missus & I went on in WA in the 90s all were paid for by gold finds, but unfortunately that top tour guide has retired, thus I have no reco re. tour guides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  I also enjoy getting recommendations form a few of you as Lunk and I will try our luck in Aussie Land.  I've had success in the Kalgoorlie/Leonora areas years back, but it was still hard hunting.  Has the beaches (gold jewelry) been exposed or do you folks even try for such finds?

Either way, Thanks again.

PS.  The photo of some of my gold from last OZ trip

Aust1.JPG

Aust3.JPG

DSCN1659.JPG

Gerry1.JPG

gerry1b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have one of the lifetime prospecting licences for Western Australia that I got about 40 years ago. Do they still have lifetime ones now? I heard they changed it. 

My first gold finds were near Broad Arrow. I wish I had a PI detector back then. I would have been a rich man now. 

• Like 1