Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Show Me Your Pick

This is still a work in progress.  

After thinking about this last night, destined For the scrap pile.

Handle 34 inches, scoop box is 6x6 inches, 12 gauge,  point 3x9 inches 1/4 inch, weight 5.2 pounds

What a monster, not sure if I will make any more. I will only make this if 

I can weld it together. I think that changeable blade stuff is bs.

This balances out, scoop to point really good.

post-411-0-48802800-1443063396_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-10227100-1443041721_thumb.jpg

Ivan

Looks pretty sweet to me. If the changeable blade thing is BS then that general geometry in one piece permanent blade is something I'd be interested in personally.

Edit: with a magnet holder on the scoop.  :D

Looks pretty sweet to me. If the changeable blade thing is BS then that general geometry in one piece permanent blade is something I'd be interested in personally.

It still would be two piece because the point and bucket are two different materials.

The bucket is 12 gauge, still twice as thick as a standard shovel and the point is 1/4

inch steel, I just don't see any one wearing this thing out very soon.

The neck is welded to a 1/2 inch thick bar 3x2 inches.

Ivan

I think that geometry is pretty close to ideal, but it's pretty close to the Supersede geometry, might need some IP tweaking? Dunno, def not my department there.

One thing I wonder about, with 12GA steel, do you think there would be a chance the flat blade part of the scoop might get bent? Would it be better slightly shorter so less leverage if so? No idea from pictures without trying it out, just one thing I wondered about...?

Edit again: also I seem to be about the only one really into this type of design other than Flak who first posted the Supersede looking for comments on it, unless others are just not commenting. So maybe it's just me, I don't want to lead you into production costs for a pick no one wants. For me personally I find this style to be ideal...everyone varies though.

I think that geometry is pretty close to ideal, but it's pretty close to the Supersede geometry, might need some IP tweaking? Dunno, def not my department there.

One thing I wonder about, with 12GA steel, do you think there would be a chance the flat blade part of the scoop might get bent? Would it be better slightly shorter so less leverage if so? No idea from pictures without trying it out, just one thing I wondered about...?

Edit again: also I seem to be about the only one really into this design other than Flak unless others are just not commenting. So maybe it's just me, I don't want to lead you into production costs for a pick no one wants. For me personally I find this style to be ideal...everyone varies though.

No No you would not bend that 12 gauge it took 5 ton press to bend those lips.

Ivan

Ivan I am not too sure about them ??

This Walco pick is the one I want Note the Curve and the size of the Blade and they have a piece of 38mm tubing that is between 4 to 5 inches log so it protects the handle in case you hit the handle on a rock, and the sides are flat, In OZ they are the industry standard and that steel tube is crushed to make it an Oval shape so the handle does not twist, Like in the picture below,

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/our-products/accessories/pick-lesche-tools-trowels-shovel/picks-2/large-walco-pick.html

That's the pick I've been using lately and that's the website I got mine from. The handle is plenty long, which I like. Good for digging deep GPZ holes. However not long after owning it I did tweak the metal pick head a little trying to pry a huge boulder in a wash. It just barely got twisted a little, no biggie.

It's a little thinner steel than an Apex pick, like I was using before, so you can't be too rough on it but for 90% of the stuff I dig it's fine.

That's the pick I've been using lately and that's the website I got mine from. The handle is plenty long, which I like. Good for digging deep GPZ holes. However not long after owning it I did tweak the metal pick head a little trying to pry a huge boulder in a wash. It just barely got twisted a little, no biggie.

It's a little thinner steel than an Apex pick, like I was using before, so you can't be too rough on it but for 90% of the stuff I dig it's fine.

The Picks my Mate made me are 1/4" thick, but I won't use them for prying stuff, I like the curve on the blade that my picks have which is pretty much like the Walco picks, If they had not made the blade so long maybe it might not off bent on you, ?? 

That is my whole deal with a pick, you can't have every thing. If ya make a

pick heavy enough to pry boulders, it is heavy to carry. So I guess one has

to decide ether carry a heavy tool, or ???. I like the 2 to 3 lb which is kind

off a medium use pick. 

My picks are what I would call a medium duty pick, they are not made to bust  through asphalt,  get a 6 lb Mattock pick for that. They where made to be light
 (2-3 lbs) and carry all day, (all ready carrying around a bunch of stuff), and  dig through semi loose rock dirt and sand.

Someone on a other forum asked me about,
any guarantee? that is a rock and a hard place question.. Its a pick
you are slamming it into the ground, you are prying rocks with it..
Yes I will guarantee it, if you don,t abuse it. Pretty hard not to abuse
a pick. I take my pick every now and then an take the grinder to it.

Ivan
  • Like 1