Steve's Insanely Hot GPZ 7000 Settings

They are way off of what I ran most of the summer. And outside my comfort zone. I did very very well finding gold this summer. But I'm willing to learn and try something different. Thanks for posting Steve! Going detecting in the morning. Got a screen shot of your settings. Will give it a test drive.

Don't say I did not warn you. I don't keep close track of my hours but I know I have well over 500 hours on the GPZ and probably took me 300 hours of listening to the machine to get to where I am now. I have used those settings up in your neck of the woods though so it is not just a northern Nevada thing. If the andesite is not giving you good enough signals this will help!

Some places, especially in Nevada these settings actually run pretty quiet. More than I let on really. Problem is I have nothing even hotter to run now so maybe Minelab needs to put in a special "Insane" setting just for me. It would probably make a person sterile running it but I don't want any more kids anyway.

You must be headed for the foothills. Froze up solid over this way this morning. Good luck!!

• Like 1

That is the most concise settings explanation I`ve heard for the 7000, I`ve been very fortunate to have recently found a close(1/2 hour away) patch that keeps producing at depth and thus have experimented with settings, and basically have gone down the same path as you, except I keep turning back to Bogenes settings for test now and again and find gold again, which confounds me a little. The only logical explanation I have for this is that my hearing and senses has times when they return nearly to what they were, back last century. My sons returns on this patch with his first 7000 use, after I`d flogged it, help to reinforce this logic.

I recall a fair few years back at a ML local demo day, from memory a ML technician felt that if we could have a digital sight response to signals, we`d find the detector is getting a lot more signals then our hearing can process. Perhaps a sort of sights up as per fighter pilots have might be in the future, ie we`ll wear goggles and process signals by sight.

The 7000 does bring back some practices from the VLF days for sure. Sort of back to the future.

• Like 1

Hello Steve, I have been running the same settings as you recommend now since day one. I also looked at the ZED as an oversized VLF as far as the audio goes, but a VLF it is not. I am very happy with performance. Here in my neck of the woods the ZED is really hitting on the irregular shapes of the local alluvial gold, especially the smaller stuff. I dug a one pennyweight piece last weekend that was down twenty two inches and it sounded very nice, nothing iffy about it. No Smoothing, Normal, High Yield, Gain at Twenty and keep your swing mode low and slow. Just my thoughts, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS.

Check my book out, Detecting for Gold, Adventures, Trips and Tips at

TRINITYAU.COM

• Like 2

Norvic, I do have poor hearing and in fact wear hearing aids at times but not when I am detecting (they freak out) so who knows what other people hear compared to what I am hearing. No doubt some of this is to harsh for others and sounds fine to me? Again, that is why they give us controls to adjust. Even if we were all in the same location we all have personal differences to account for.

Hello Steve, I have been running the same settings as you recommend now since day one. I also looked at the ZED as an oversized VLF as far as the audio goes, but a VLF it is not. I am very happy with performance. Here in my neck of the woods the ZED is really hitting on the irregular shapes of the local alluvial gold, especially the smaller stuff. I dug a one pennyweight piece last weekend that was down twenty two inches and it sounded very nice, nothing iffy about it. No Smoothing, Normal, High Yield, Gain at Twenty and keep your swing mode low and slow. Just my thoughts, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS.

Check my book out, Detecting for Gold, Adventures, Trips and Tips at

TRINITYAU.COM

You are the perfect example of a truly knowledgeable VLF operator Ray so no surprises there. I think a good VLF guy like you has a far easier time learning a GPZ 7000 than somebody who has only used Minelab PI detectors. I am glad to hear the Zed is hitting a sweet spot for you. Really an amazing machine. I have to have Chris weigh my smallest piece as it is too small to accurately weigh even on my digital powder scales. He has some analytic scales. It was no accidental find while digging something else either. I used to walk away from some tiny gold signals with the Zed in early days but have my pinpointing down pat now, and it is crazy how small that big coil will hit. I have no doubt when a smaller coil comes out for the GPZ it will match or beat the SDC2300 on small gold. And as you know it gets the depth on the big stuff for sure.

Its really not that noisy to me, in fact it seem like when you do hit a target the machine quiets down and returns a nice obvious signal.

I pretty much run it like I do a GB2, maxed out. 

Well articulated and succinct article Steve, Thank you!

• Like 2

Holy mackerel batman Steve!!! But hey if it works then why not? You have the runs on the board so im all ears. High Yield Normal is amazing in the quieter soils, although I seriously doubt ill find anywhere in OZ where I could use 20 on the Sensitivity.

JP

• Like 2