Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

How Many Of You Would Jump On A CTX If Minelab Dropped The Price To 1200 ?

1 hour ago, Dances With Doves said:

If  Minelab comes up with a Flagship Nox/CTX type machine what are you  willing to pay since you could get a Nox  800 for $899, and cheaper for   those who served the military.It would be tough for me to get one if it's much over $1500.

The capability boost by incorporating those few things from the FBS2 detectors that are desirable would only be worth a couple hundred dollars in value to me.  More importantly, and probably something that would actually drive cost up (since the above is only programming and signal processing - no impact to power requirements) is improving the build quality and ergonomics by going to full up CF shafts and stems, improving weight and balance, improving the grip and adjustability of the control pod, and finally deciding on making a truly waterproof or simply dunk proof/weatherproof machine rather than trying to split the difference like they did with Equinox(it appears to be mostly dunk proof and submersible if you are lucky and got one that does not have manufacturing/fit-up flaws).  I could live with dunk proof (rather than submersible) personally which would be cheaper to design and build.  Also not interested in built-in GPS and other half-measure bells and whistles.  That would probably put it at the $1200 to 1500 price point, I would say.

• Like 3

I have been lucky with my Nox.  I have had it under the water for many hours with no problems .I cut a piece of a pool noodle and put it between the pod and the arm cuff so it stays upright and never goes to deep.A  foot and a  half submerged tops with it being under mostly about 10 inches or less.I have had it under about a foot  deep for at least 5  hours  many times too in a certain lake.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, Dances With Doves said:

With the Nox able to bring great results at $899 plus being waterproof it seems many think the CTX is not worth the extra money or to steep a price to pay  for a detector.I would jump on one at 1200 though.

In the right hands the CTX is worth every cent.  Most hunters these days aren't serious enough to progress to the point where they can tell the difference. 

cjc

• Like 3

On 12/30/2020 at 9:02 PM, Dances With Doves said:

I have been lucky with my Nox.  I have had it under the water for many hours with no problems .I cut a piece of a pool noodle and put it between the pod and the arm cuff so it stays upright and never goes to deep.A  foot and a  half submerged tops with it being under mostly about 10 inches or less.I have had it under about a foot  deep for at least 5  hours  many times too in a certain lake.

that's a good idea.  Im on my third brain--and to do the whole silicone thing voids the warr. 

cjc

• Like 1

A machines worth is only as much as the person is willing to justify it. Machines have their following and those products click with the users or those users sell them off and get something else. I personally go for ergonomics and basic features with ease of use. I do like all sorts of options but for the most part how much micro managing do people really need to detect? Is fun to tinker, always have a Deus on the back of my mind but would I need the 40 save slots and all the finite adjustments available? Probably not.

With FBS machines it would be nice to be able to adjust the bias of the frequencies ie the ability to reduce the strength of the low frequencies and flatten out the response of the machine. I think the lower frequencies tend to dominate the detection and why they are stronger on high conductors. The Nox has modes that seem to address that issue. Maybe you guys that use fbs can chime in on that. Probably have better answers in that regard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjc said:

In the right hands the CTX is worth every cent.  Most hunters these days aren't serious enough to progress to the point where they can tell the difference. 

cjc

Hi C.J.C.Since you are on the other side of Lake  Ontario which do you prefer for your water hunting our big lake.The Nox or the CTX and do you have sections that can be thick in black sand in certain spots over there too?

12 hours ago, kac said:

A machines worth is only as much as the person is willing to justify it.

Or in other words, the detector doesn't find treasure.  I'll add one more.  Which would you rather have, the best detector made so you can hunt a beat-to-death location, or a bottom of the line detector on a virgin site?

• Like 3