Challenge Completed And Missed Nuggets Found

jasong

The 6000 will offer much more automation, hence these different techniques with the GPZ will not be that relevant anymore across operators. Now, the focus will all be on having fun with a light weight detector, enjoying ML's brilliant engineering, and most of all: make enough research about the area where you hunt so you can actually get the coil over gold. That has always been my most important task.

• Like 3

Like JasonG,

Spurious signals and trying to concentrate on them , messing with different settings were taking up much more time, than finding nuggets to me at one point. Upon talking to others, I then tried the Steelphase SP01 amplifier/ filter. All I can say is wow !!!! It became the holy grail to me, and I dont leave home without it. Not only did it clear a lot of the interference, for me, but I can pump a little more volume into me ears for those slight threshold breaks. No more headaches from after a day of detecting with my ears jammed with white noise. Now this is just my opinion, and am noway affiliated with them....

On the Steelphase for the GPZ7000 I use the following settings. Mode 2, Volume- set to how you want, Filter- 1.

I have done several tests with the Steelphase and without to see if Im missing targets, and have been impressed, as it was allowing me to hear those faint threshold breaks, without all the interference. Would love to try experimenting with it with the aftermarket Z and X coils...

Dave

• Like 3

The EMI situation in places close to massive population centers like in California or parts of Arizona is another level compared more remote, less populated parts of Australia, or even places like NNV. Just California has almost double the population of the entire country of Australia. Phoenix metro area has basically the entire population of New Zealand. Just as two relative references. Lots of military, power generation, air travel, and other stuff that produces EMI that travels some distance.

22 minutes ago, DolanDave said:

Upon talking to others, I then tried the Steelphase SP01 amplifier/ filter. All I can say is wow !!!!

The SP01 is compressing/limiting/expanding the audio. I'm not sure which one exactly since I don't own one. But any kind of compression by definition destroys some part of the audio. So in that way, it's not a whole lot different than what low smoothing and boosting your sensitivity/volume is doing. In fact, before the SP01 came out, I posted about just such a thing on that old 4umer forum and how you could emulate such an idea with threshold and volume controls.

The bottom line to me is that those settings are there for a reason and a place. Where we happen to be is a particularly noisy place. And people should not be afraid to use a setting (or hardware like sp1) or say they never will use it, if the results are more gold and less headache.

That is after all, one of the principal design concepts of the 6000 from what I can tell based on the limited info we have.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, strick said:

Thanks for that info as I'd never heard of it before...where does it come from? 

strick 

Hi strick, good to see you are still around. Hope Merton is well.

This thread is VLF but same rules apply, take a look.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/1424-vlf-detectors-and-depth/

• Thanks 1

Re: EMI with the X-Coil and GPZ7000

Here in Sunny Yuma we have Marine Corps Air Station with training flights every morning.  Nearby we have Yuma Proving Grounds and they have the High Altitude Low Opening parachute training.  They use a C130 plane to haul the paratroopers.  To get to 30,000 ft for the drop they have to circle within their airspace climbing all the while.  When they are up and circling the EMI is awful.  The 17" X-Coil is nearly unusable when that C130 is climbing.  I've switched to the 15x10 X-Coil on those days and the EMI is manageable.  The stock Minelab 14" coil also suffers from the same EMI, Beatup can probably chime in on his experiences with the stock coil.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DolanDave said:

I have done several tests with the Steelphase and without to see if Im missing targets, and have been impressed, as it was allowing me to hear those faint threshold breaks, without all the interference.

I swear by the Steelphase. It has helped my detecting immeasurably. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jasong said:

The SP01 is compressing/limiting/expanding the audio. I'm not sure which one exactly since I don't own one.

I would suggest you give an SP01 a try. I honestly think you will be pleased.

• Like 2